Knights Fall to Tides 11-2 on Sunday
(NORFOLK, VA) -- The Charlotte Knights dropped game three of their four-game series to the Norfolk Tides by a score of 11-2 on Sunday night from Harbor Park in Norfolk, VA. With the loss, combined with a 3-1 win by the Durham Bulls, the International League Wild Card race will now come down to the final day of the 2019 regular season on Monday.
For the Knights to win the IL Wild Card, the team would need to win Monday's 1:05 p.m. finale against the Tides and would also need the Bulls to lose their finale against the Gwinnett Stripers on Monday. A win by the Bulls on Monday would end Charlotte's season. The Bulls hold a 2019 season series tiebreaker over the Knights due to their 12-11 head-to-head record.
Charlotte's only two runs of Sunday's game came in the top of fifth inning when center fielder Luis Robert connected on his 16th home run of the season with the team. Robert finished the game 1-for-4 with the home run and two RBIs. For the season, Robert now has 32 home runs combined over three levels (eight with Winston-Salem and eight with Birmingham).
LHP Kyle Kubat (5-3, 5.63) allowed four runs on six hits over 3.1 innings pitched and was saddled with the loss. Relievers Colton Turner and Zach Thompson were charged with three runs apiece out of the bullpen. RHP Connor Walsh also allowed a run out of Charlotte's bullpen.
The Knights will conclude the 2019 regular season and will play the finale of their four-game series against the Tides on Monday with the 1:05 p.m. finale. Pre-game radio coverage of Monday's game is set for 12:50 p.m. on 730 The Game ESPN Charlotte and CharlotteKnights.com. The "Voice of the Charlotte Knights" Matt Swierad will have the call for all of the action.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Syracuse Keeps Playoff Hope Alive with 7-3 Win against Rochester - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Out-"Hustled" by Mets - Rochester Red Wings
- Hays Spearheads Tides Offense in 11-2 Victory - Norfolk Tides
- Louisville's Bats Too Much for Indians in 8-2 Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- Knights Fall to Tides 11-2 on Sunday - Charlotte Knights
- Mashers Crush Indians, 8-2 - Louisville Bats
- Mud Hens Shutout at Home to Division Rival - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bulls Clinch Playoff Spot with Win Monday Afternoon - Durham Bulls
- Slegers Leads Bulls to Crucial Victory - Durham Bulls
- Stripers Stifled by Slegers, Durham in 3-1 Loss - Gwinnett Stripers
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre outlasts Buffalo in a game that features 27 runs, 27 hits and 41 baserunners - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Fall 15-12 in Slugfest to RailRiders - Buffalo Bisons
- Straily Stymies PawSox on Sunday Afternoon - Pawtucket Red Sox
- IronPigs snag series win against PawSox - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Notes: Indianapolis Indians (65-73) at Louisville Bats (58-80) - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (65-73) at Louisville Bats (58-80) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Mashers/Bats Homestand Notes: September 1 & 2 - Louisville Bats
- Encarnacion and Severino Join SWB on MLB Rehab - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Knights Stories
- Knights Announce 2020 Scholarships with Founding Partners
- Knights' 2020 Slate Filled with Celebs, Fireworks & Giveaways
- National Anthem Auditions Set for February 18 at Queen City Q
- Gastonia Native Wes Helms Named Manager for 2020 Season
- Knights Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball