Impact U17 to Take Part in 2018 Generation adidas Cup in Texas
MONTREAL - The Montreal Impact announced on Tuesday that its U17 team will participate in the 2018 Generation adidas Cup in Frisco, Texas. FC Dallas is hosting the 32-team event, composed of 20 MLS teams and 12 international teams, played from Friday, March 23 to Saturday, March 31.
The competition is divided into two divisions: The Champions Division and the Premier Division. The Impact is in group B of the Premier Division, with the Colorado Rapids, the Philadelphia Union and Club Tijuana (Mexico).
"This tournament represents an opportunity to face MLS teams and international ones," said Impact U17 head coach Nicolas Gagnon. "The challenge will be to perform at a high level for five games in ten days. Our focus is to be competitive with positive results in this prestigious event. It's also a good preparation for the Development Academy playoffs in June."
Montreal will start the tournament against the Colorado Rapids on Friday, March 23, at 12:15pm, EDT. Nicolas Gagnon's team will then face Club Tijuana on Sunday, March 25, at 10am, EDT, and the Philadelphia Union on Tuesday, March 27, at 10am, EDT.
The team that finishes first in each group will qualify for the semifinals on Thursday, March 29, while the other teams will play qualifying games to determine in what position they finish in the tournament. The final will be played on Saturday, March 31, at 6:30pm, EDT, at the Toyota Stadium.
Throughout the year, the Impact U17 plays in the Development Academy. The Bleu-blanc-noir is presently first of its group, tied with BW Gottschee Academy, with a 9-4-1 record.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 13, 2018
- Game Notes: Houston Dynamo at D.C. United - Houston Dynamo
- 2018 SuperDraft Pick Cory Brown Signs with USL Affiliate Fresno FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC Announces Southern California Toyota Dealers as a Founding Golden Boot Club Member - Los Angeles FC
- Revolution Legend Shalrie Joseph Named Head Coach of Grenada National Team - New England Revolution
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Diego Rossi Voted Alcatel MLS Player of the Week - Los Angeles FC
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Diego Rossi Voted Alcatel MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Impact U17 to Take Part in 2018 Generation adidas Cup in Texas - Montreal Impact
- Philadelphia Union to Partner with Marsh Creek 6th Grade Center in "Agent of Change" Program - Philadelphia Union
- MLS and Liga MX Fuel Rivalry with New Partnership - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.