2018 SuperDraft Pick Cory Brown Signs with USL Affiliate Fresno FC
VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC confirmed on Tuesday that 2018 MLS SuperDraft pick Cory Brown has signed a USL contract with affiliate club Fresno FC. He joins fellow Whitecaps FC prospects Matthew Baldisimo, Terran Campbell, Sean Melvin, and Noah Verhoeven at Fresno FC, along with assistant coach Robert Earnshaw.
The Foxes kick off their inaugural USL season this coming Saturday, March 17 against fellow expansion side Las Vegas Lights FC at Chukchansi Park. Kickoff will be at 7 p.m. PT, live on the USL YouTube channel.
Defender Cory Brown
80 starts and appearances in four years, two as captain, for the Xavier University Musketeers, tallying five goals and nine assists
2016 Big East Conference Defensive Player of the Year, four-time USC All-Great Lakes Region and All-Big East selection
Represented the New Zealand national team in the FIFA U-17 and U-20 World Cup tournaments
After being selected in the third round (62nd overall) by Whitecaps FC in the 2018 MLS SuperDraft, Brown spent preseason with Fresno FC. At the college level, the 21-year-old made 80 starts and appearances for the Xavier University Musketeers, tallying five goals and nine assists, while also representing the New Zealand national team at the youth levels.
The 5-foot-9 defender was a four-year starter at Xavier, enjoying a decorated career that was highlighted by Big East Conference Defensive Player of the Year honours in 2016, and four United Soccer Coaches (USC) All-Great Lakes Region selections, including three to the First Team. A captain in his final two years, Brown earned All-Big East honours after each of his four seasons at Xavier, being named to the First Team three consecutive times.
Internationally, the left-footed centre back from Nelson, New Zealand featured for his native country in the FIFA U-17 and U-20 World Cup tournaments.
Brown went to Nayland College in his hometown prior to moving to the United States.
Position: Centre back
Weight: 190 pounds
Date of Birth: April 3, 1996 in Nelson, New Zealand
Hometown: Nelson, New Zealand
Citizenship: New Zealand
Last Club: Xavier University Musketeers (NCAA '14-'17)
Transaction: Selected 62nd overall in the 2018 MLS SuperDraft by Whitecaps FC on January 21, 2018. Signed to a USL contract with affiliate club Fresno FC on March 13, 2018.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 13, 2018
- Game Notes: Houston Dynamo at D.C. United - Houston Dynamo
- 2018 SuperDraft Pick Cory Brown Signs with USL Affiliate Fresno FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC Announces Southern California Toyota Dealers as a Founding Golden Boot Club Member - Los Angeles FC
- Revolution Legend Shalrie Joseph Named Head Coach of Grenada National Team - New England Revolution
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Diego Rossi Voted Alcatel MLS Player of the Week - Los Angeles FC
- Los Angeles Football Club Forward Diego Rossi Voted Alcatel MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Impact U17 to Take Part in 2018 Generation adidas Cup in Texas - Montreal Impact
- Philadelphia Union to Partner with Marsh Creek 6th Grade Center in "Agent of Change" Program - Philadelphia Union
- MLS and Liga MX Fuel Rivalry with New Partnership - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- 'Caps rally behind Adnan, Ricketts goals for massive win
- Whitecaps FC's Nationwide Search for the ONe Commences on November 6
- 'Caps lose late to LA Galaxy on the road
- Whitecaps FC Acquire 2023 MLS SuperDraft First Round Pick from LAFC for 2020 International Roster Slot
- 'Caps vault above playoff line with second straight win