IceRays Stomp Gorillas 6-2
Chad Woollard had a hat trick and an assist and Chad Costello had four assists to help the Corpus Christi IceRays erase a 2-0 first intermission deficit in a 6-2 victory over the Amarillo Gorillas at the American Bank Center on Thursday night. Corpus Christi's win was their sixth straight over Amarillo and swept the two-game season series. The IceRays improved to 19-19-6 on the year, but remained in a tie with Rio Grande Valley for the fifth and final playoff spot in the Southern Conference. They are just two points back of Laredo, and three back from Texas for fourth and third, respectively in the standings. The IceRays will return home on Friday night they welcome the Texas Brahmas for Men's Night, presented by Classic Rock 104.5 FM. Be one of the first 1,000 through the door and receive free Athletic Club T-Shirts. It's also 'Frosty Friday' with half price 24oz. beer & sodas. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
The Gorillas jumped onto the scoreboard first at 9:54 when Anthony Battaglia collected a loose puck just to the left of the crease and buried it home past Kevin Beech to make it 1-0. At 12:11 the IceRays got their best scoring chance of the period when Ryan Garbutt was pulled down on a breakaway and awarded a penalty shot. But Garbutt's shot went wide of the net and the Rays remained scoreless. The Gorillas made it 2-0 when Gordon Bell stuffed in a loose puck in the crease at 17:18 to give the Gorillas a 2-0 lead after one period. Amarillo outshot Corpus Christi 11-8 in the frame.
Corpus Christi turned things around in the second period with a three-goal outburst. Ryan Garbutt got the flurry started with a goal at 3:21 after his shot caromed off the left post, then the back of netminder Mike Brown and into the net just before it was knocked loose. The goal was originally waved off by referee Jon MacIsaac, but after a conference with his linesmen it was converted to a goal. Corpus Christi tied the game 3:15 later when Chad Woollard came out of the penalty box and roofed a forehand on a breakaway for his first goal of the period to tie the score 2-2. Woollard struck again at 15:39 to give the IceRays the lead on a shot from the left circle to make it 3-2. Corpus Christi outshot Amarillo 15-9 in the period.
Jereme Tendler got his first of two third period goals at 6:20 of the third period, capping off a two on one with Woollard to make it 4-0. Then he scored a rebound goal at 12:33 to make it 5-2. Woollard scored on a three on two at 14:10 to complete his hat trick and cap the scoring. The IceRays have now outscored their opponents 12-2 in their last two home games.
Kevin Beech (7-4-2) took the loss, making 23 saves on 28 shots. Mike Brown (9-15-4) earned the win making 33 saves on 35 shots. The IceRays power play went 0-8 and the Jacks went 3-5. The IceRays outshot the Jacks 35-28 in the game.
The IceRays will return home on Friday night they welcome the Texas Brahmas for Men's Night, presented by Classic Rock 104.5 FM. Be one of the first 1,000 through the door and receive free Athletic Club T-Shirts. It's also 'Frosty Friday' with half price 24oz. beer & sodas. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 4, 2010
- IceRays Stomp Gorillas 6-2 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bucks Stopped In Shootout 3-2 - Laredo Bucks
- Mudbugs Are At Your Service On February 17 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mavericks Sign Defenseman, Trade For Another - Kansas City Mavericks
- Laredo's Darryl Smith Named Sher-Wood/TPS Central Hockey League Player of the Month - CHL
- Bucks' Smith Earns Player Of The Month Honors - Laredo Bucks
- Rapid City's Danny Battochio Named Sher-Wood/Tps CHL Goaltender Of The Month - Rapid City Rush
- Rapid City's Danny Battochio Named Sher-Wood/TPS Central Hockey League Goaltender of the Month - CHL
- Bees Make Defensive Swap With Missouri - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Jacks Celebrate Boy Scouts 100th Anniversary - Odessa Jackalopes
- Former Captain Dube Returns To Bucks - Laredo Bucks
- Reaney's Overtime Goal Lifts Rush To 6-5 Victory, First Place - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs Extend Points Streak To Four Games As Rapid City Earns OT Win, 6-5 - Arizona Sundogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale