IceRays Fall To Mudbugs 4-1
The Corpus Christi IceRays had their three-game point streak snapped on Sunday night as they fell 4-1 to the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs at the CenturyTel Center. The clubs split a weekend home and home set with both home teams claiming victory. The IceRays fell back to.500 with a season record of 21-21-7, but remained ahead of Rio Grande Valley for the final playoff spot in the Southern Conference. The IceRays will return to the American Bank Center on Friday night to host the Laredo Bucks and Saturday to host the Rapid City Rush. Tickets are on sale for both games. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com
The Mudbugs jumped out to an early lead with a pair of quick goals to open the game. Just 1:08 into the contest David Rutherford got his third goal in the last two games with a wrist shot off the bottom of the crossbar from the slot to make it 1-0 Mudbugs. Shawn Limpright then scored from just outside the crease at 5:28 to make the score 2-0. The IceRays started to get more shots and chances in the latter of the frame, and outshot the Mudbugs 15-7, but trailed 2-0 at first intermission.
After a primarily defensive period in the second, the goals came at the end of the frame. Jeff Kyrzakos scored at 16:03 to make it 3-0 Mudbugs. The IceRays answered to get on the board when Ryan Garbutt went coast to coast before scoring from the right circle at 19:04. The Bugs then reclaimed a three goal lead as Justin Aikins capped off a two-on-one with a goal at 19:40 to give the Mudbugs a 4-1 lead heading into the third.
Neither team scored in the third as the Mudbugs held on for the victory.
Kris Tebbs (3-5-3) took the loss, making 18 saves on 22 shots. Ken Carroll (10-6-3) earned the win making 33 saves on 34 shots. The IceRays power play went 0-7 and the Bugs went 0-6. The IceRays outshot the Bugs 34-22 in the game.
The IceRays will return to the American Bank Center on Friday night to host the Laredo Bucks and Saturday to host the Rapid City Rush. Friday is Go Green Night presented by CPL Retail Energy. Wear a green shirt to the game and get a $10 ticket. Plus the first 500 fans will receive stainless steel water bottles from CPL. It's also Frosty Friday with half price beer and soda at the game. Then on Saturday night at 7:45, it's Stripes Night. The first 20 fans who wear red and white striped shirts to the game will be moved into a suite courtesy of Stripes convenience stores. There are also Caller-Times Family Four Packs of tickets available for $34. Tickets are on sale for both games. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 14, 2010
- Rush Seven-Game Win Streak Snapped With 7-6 Shootout Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Mudbugs Shut Down IceRays, Carroll Wins 200th - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Eagles Win Heart-Pounder, 7-6, In Shootout - Colorado Eagles
- 'Dogs End Perfect Road Trip With 5-4 Shootout Win, Extend Road Win Streak To Season-High Five Games - Arizona Sundogs
- Bucks Back To Third Place With Shootout Loss - Laredo Bucks
- Amarillo Gorillas Heart Brake In Amarillo - Amarillo Gorillas
- IceRays Fall To Mudbugs 4-1 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Winless Streak Ends With Win Over Wichita - Mississippi RiverKings
- Early Goal Not Enough In Mississippi - Wichita Thunder
- Bucks Look To Break Bees Hearts On Valentines Day - Laredo Bucks
- Shots From The Point - CHL
- Cook's Goal with One Minute Remaining Lifts Rapid City to Weekend Sweep - Rapid City Rush
- Jacks Lose, 6-4, to Rapid City - Odessa Jackalopes
- Americans' late effort not enough in 4-1 loss to Texas - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale