IceRays Fall To Americans 4-2
Justin Bowers and Bruce Graham each had three point nights as the Allen Americans beat the Corpus Christi IceRays 4-2 from the American Bank Center on Saturday night. The IceRays suffered their second straight loss, and finished the weekend with one win and two losses. Their season record fell to 8-10-2 on the year. The IceRays will hit the road next week with a Tuesday night trip to Laredo, and a Friday visit to Rio Grande Valley, before the IceRays play host the Missouri Mavericks on Saturday night at 7:05pm at the American Bank Center. Tickets are currently available. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
The IceRays opened the scoring for the third straight goal when Chad Costello set up Chad Woollard from the right corner for Woollard's ninth goal of the year at 7:31. The Americans answered at 1-1 when Nino Musitelli's shot from the slot trickled through Kevin Desfosses at 16:34 to even the score. The IceRays outshot the Americans 11-7 in the period and the teams went to the intermission tied.
After most of the second period was played scoreless, the IceRays suffered a bad break and the Americans took their first lead of the game. In the final half-minute of the period, an IceRays clearing attempt was stopped by the skates of linesman Randy Sappo, and caromed to the Americans for an odd-man rush into the zone. Tyler Woodisse uncorked a slapshot from the high slot to cap the rush at 19:42, and make the score 2-1 Americans. The Rays outshot the Americans 13-7 in the second period, but trailed heading into the third.
Early in the third period, on a penalty the IceRays evened the score on a Justin Quenneville breakaway goal 44 seconds into the period. The IceRays appeared to recapture the momentum with the goal, but Allen got a big goal later in the frame to take back the lead. At 5:17 Ryan Fairbarn took a back door feed from Graham and scored to give the Americans a 3-2 lead. The Americans capped the victory with a shorthanded goal from Bowers at 17:22 to make it 4-2 Allen.
Kevin Desfosses (2-4) made 24 saves on 28 shots taking the loss. Chris Whitley (11-2-1) earned the win stopping 33 of 35 shots. The IceRays power play went 0-5 and the Americans went 0-3. The IceRays outshot the Americans 35-28 in the game.
The IceRays will hit the road next week with a Tuesday night trip to Laredo, and a Friday visit to Rio Grande Valley, before the IceRays play host the Missouri Mavericks on Saturday night at 7:05pm at the American Bank Center. Tickets are currently available. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 5, 2009
- Mavs Take Down Gorillas In Shootout, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Bucks Top Jacks, 6-1 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bucks Rout 'Jacks 6-1 - Laredo Bucks
- 'Dogs Snap Season-Long Four-Game Slide With 3-1 Win Over 'Bees - Arizona Sundogs
- IceRays Fall To Americans 4-2 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Amarillo Gorillas Gorillas Earn Another Road Point - Amarillo Gorillas
- Americans Win Fifth Straight In 4-2 Defeat Over Corpus Christi - Allen Americans
- Brahmas 'Bah Humbug' Bugs, Win 4-2 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Thunder Edged By Eagles - Wichita Thunder
- Mudbugs Add Two Players For Tonight - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bucks Host Odessa Tonight - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale