IceRays Fall 6-3 To Comeback Driven Killer Bees
The Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees scored five third period goals to keep their season alive, and spoil the IceRays home finale in a 6-3 comeback win. Andy Franck stopped 38 of 41 shots and Grant Goeckner-Zoeller and Brett Clouthier each scored twice for the Bees. The IceRays loss kept their magic number at two points to clinch a playoff spot. With two games remaining, the IceRays need either one win, two overtime losses, or one Rio Grande Valley loss to secure a playoff spot. Corpus Christi fell to 28-26-8 on the season and finished their home schedule with a 15-13-4 record at the American Bank Center this year. The IceRays will travel to Allen on Friday and Rio Grande Valley on Saturday in search of one more win to clinch a playoff berth. Please check radio listings for station information. Both games begin at 7:30pm. Call 361.814.PUCK or visit goicerays.com for more information.
The IceRays came out and played the first period with a huge sense of urgency and it paid off. The Rays outshot the Bees 18-6 in the opening period and scored the first two goals of the game. At 11:21 Jereme Tendler redirected a Jesse Dudas pass into the net for his 20th goal of the season. The IceRays made it 2-0 on a turnaround shot from Steve Later from the left boards at 13:33. The Killer Bees cut the lead in half with a late goal when Brett Clouthier scored on a wrist shot from the left circle at 18:26 to make the score 2-1 IceRays after one period.
Bad blood between the teams boiled over in the second period, as several altercations took place, and 14 minor penalties were handed out. The IceRays outshot the Bees 12-10 in the frame, but neither team found the back of the net. The IceRays kept their 2-1 lead heading into the third period.
The third period was an absolute wild one. The IceRays appeared to take a 3-1 lead about four minutes into the frame when a shot from the right wall deflected off the left post, behind Franck, and aerially along the goal line. The goal judge turned the light on, but referee John MacIsaac immediately waived off the goal. At the next break, after a lengthy conference, the ruling was upheld. Minutes later at 7:30 Clouthier scored on a redirection to tie the score. Then at 10:37 Grant Goeckner-Zoeller scored on a shot from the slot to give the Bees their first lead of the game at 3-2. The IceRays responded quickly on Kyle Peto's power play goal at 12:19 on a wrist shot from just inside the blue line. The game appeared destined for overtime, until Goeckner-Zoeller scored at 16:14 to break the tie. The Bees added empty net goals from Daymen Rycroft and Aaron Lee to seal the game.
Kevin Beech (17-10-4) took the loss, making 25 saves on 29 shots. Andy Franck (17-18-7) earned the win making 38 saves on 41 shots. The IceRays power play went 1-8 and the Bees went 0-5. The IceRays outshot the Bees 41-31 in the game.
The IceRays will travel to Allen on Friday and Rio Grande Valley on Saturday in search of one more win to clinch a playoff berth. Please check radio listings for station information. Both games begin at 7:30pm. Call 361.814.PUCK or visit goicerays.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 16, 2010
- IceRays Fall 6-3 To Comeback Driven Killer Bees - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Mudbugs Dethrone 'Kings, Clinch Third Place - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Battochio Shines As Rush Top Brahmas 5-1 - Rapid City Rush
- Texas Shushed Against Rush, Fall 5-1 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mudbugs Blast RiverKings In Bossier - Mississippi RiverKings
- Obermeyer Makes 2009-2010 CHL All-Rookie Roster - Amarillo Gorillas
- Danny Battochio Named To CHL All-Rookie Team - Rapid City Rush
- CHL Announces 2009-10 All-Rookie Team - CHL
- CHL Honors Oiler Rookie - Tulsa Oilers
- RiverKings Playoff Ticket Packages Now Available - Mississippi RiverKings
- McNulty Earns Performance Of The Week Award - Mississippi RiverKings
- Kyle McNulty's Effort Voted CHL Performance of the Week - CHL
- Americans Partner With Marit Peterson Fund For Melanoma Research - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale