IceRays crush Gorillas 7-1
Six different players found the back of the net and Dustin Traylen made 39 saves on 40 shots as the Corpus Christi IceRays won their second straight game with a 7-1 victory over the Amarillo Gorillas from the Amarillo Civic Center on Saturday Night. The win for Corpus Christi gave them a season sweep of the two-game series with the Gorillas and improved their record to .500 on the year with a 9-9-2 record. The IceRays have now allowed just four goals in their last three games. The IceRays conclude the week Sunday afternoon in Odessa before returning to Corpus Christi on Thursday on Z-95 College Night when the IceRays host the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees at 7:05pm. For more information, please contact the IceRays at 361-814-PUCK.
The IceRays took an early lead with a power play goal at 2:05 of the opening period. Bob Rapoza scored on a slapshot from the blue line that found its way through traffic to give Corpus Christi their fifth straight game tallying first. The IceRays added to their lead later in the period when Patrick Steinmayr scored his first with the IceRays at 14:27 after a rush into the zone from Matt Smyth and a beautiful set-up pass from Nick Bachand. The IceRays took their 2-0 lead into the first intermission break after outshooting the Gorillas 16-13.
It was more of the same for Corpus Christi in the second period. The IceRays picked up right where they left off with a goal just 20 seconds into the frame. John Adams beat Mike Gorman on a low slap shot from the blue line to make the score 3-0 with his first goal with the IceRays. The IceRays then converted their third power play goal to make it 4-0 when Mike Zbriger found Justin Quenneville on the doorstep and Quenneville redirected the puck past Gorman for his first goal in 11 games. The IceRays outshot the Gorillas 15-9 in the period and took a 4-0 lead into the final frame.
The IceRays added three goals in the final period from Rapoza, Adam Powell and Ryan Bennett, while John Snowden got Amarillo on the board on a Gorillas power play to spoil the shutout bid. Richards added two assists in the final frame to give him 448 assists in the CHL and move into sole possession of fifth place on the all-time CHL assist leader board.
Dustin Traylen (4-4) earned the win making 39 saves on 40 shots. He has now stopped 139 of the last 144 shots against. At the other end, Mike Gorman (5-7) took the loss making 27 saves on 31 shots. A.J. Bucchino entered the game to start the third period and allowed three goals, while making 12 saves and not figuring into the decision. The IceRays power play went 3-9 while the Gorillas went 1-6 on the man advantage. The IceRays outshot the Gorillas 46-40.
Corpus Christi remains on the road on Sunday afternoon in Odessa to conclude the week. The IceRays return to the American Bank Center to next Thursday Night for Z-95 College Night when the IceRays host the rival Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees at 7:05pm. College students receive $2 off of tickets with their school ID. Tickets to all IceRays games are on sale now at all Ticketmaster outlets or the American Bank Center Box Office. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or online at www.ccrayz.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 13, 2008
- Rush Rebound, Knock off Mudbugs 5-2 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Eagles, Sundogs tie CHL Power Play Record - Colorado Eagles
- Sundogs Fall to Eagles 7-5 in Power Play Battle - Arizona Sundogs
- Rage Spoil Teddy Bear Toss, Shutout Thunder 1-0 - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Leonard Power Scorpions' Victory - New Mexico Scorpions
- Brahmas lose in shootout to Kings - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Gorillas stung by IceRays in 7-1 loss - Amarillo Gorillas
- Mississippi Shoots Down Texas for Second Straight Win - Mississippi RiverKings
- IceRays crush Gorillas 7-1 - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bucks Fall 3-2 In Odessa - Laredo Bucks
- Rage Stop Thunder in Shootout - Wichita Thunder
- Perfect 10: Jacks Dismount Laredo, 3-2 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Jackalopes Meet Laredo In Clash Of Division Leaders - Odessa Jackalopes
- Rush Fall 5-1 In First Meeting With Mudbugs - Rapid City Rush
- Bugs Beat the Rush, Win 5-1 - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Kolzig Jersey Up For Auction on Autism Night - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale