IceRays Beat Sundogs 4-3 in Overtime
Chris Richards scored his second goal of the game at 2:19 of overtime to give the Corpus Christi IceRays a 4-3 win over the Arizona Sundogs on Friday Night from Prescott Valley. The IceRays won their second in a row, and have been victorious in their first two games of a four-game road trip. The IceRays upped their record to 3-5 on the year, while Arizona moved to 3-5-1. The clubs will finish the week on Saturday Night with a rematch game in Prescott Valley.
Arizona scored early to take a 1-0 lead 1:25 into the game. After Kris Tebbs made an initial save on a one-timer the puck was loose in the crease and just touched over the line by AJ MacLean for his first goal of the season. Corpus Christi tied the score at 13:27 when Arizona turned the puck over right in front of their net and Chris Richards pounced on the loose puck and buried it to make the score 1-1. The Sundogs outshot the IceRays 13-5 in the period.
The IceRays took their first lead of the game in the second period. At 4:04, while shorthanded Chris Mei stole the puck at the Corpus blue line and raced down the wall and beat Marco Emond with a wrist shot from the left circle. 19 seconds later at 4:23, the IceRays made it 3-1 when John McNabb blistered a slapshot from the top of the left circle past the glove of Emond. The Sundogs got back within one when Peter Cartwright redirected a shot past Tebbs at 15:36 to cap the scoring in the second period. The Sundogs outshot the IceRays 15-8 in the period.
The Sundogs tied the game late when Mark Kolanos ripped a one-timer from the left circle past Tebbs at 17:48 to force overtime. In the extra session, Richards trailed an odd man rush and took the puck from the high slot, ripping a slap shot into the top left corner at 2:19 to end the game.
Tebbs (3-2) earned the win making 35 saves on 38 shots while Marco Emond (3-2-1) took the OT loss with 17 saves on 21 shots. The IceRays power play went 0-4 while the Sundogs went 0-6 on the man advantage. The Sundogs outshot the IceRays 38-21. The IceRays continue their four-game road trip on Saturday Night in Arizona. They return to the American Bank Center on Nov. 15th to host the Amarillo Gorillas at 7:05pm. Tickets to all IceRays games are on sale now at all Ticketmaster outlets or the American Bank Center Box Office. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or online at
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from November 7, 2008
- Sundogs Fall to Corpus Christi 4-3 in Overtime - Arizona Sundogs
- Bugs Win Second Straight Over Tulsa - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- IceRays Beat Sundogs 4-3 in Overtime - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Brahmas Blazed by OKC, 4-2 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Rage Upended by Mississippi, 5-2 - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Jacks Hand Bees First Loss in Shootout, 5-4 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Scorpions Win Overtime Thriller - New Mexico Scorpions
- Weitzel, Gorillas Spoil Homecoming for Ferras - Amarillo Gorillas
- Thunder Edged in OT - Wichita Thunder
- RiverKings Throttle Rage for Second Straight Win - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks Host Bees Saturday - Laredo Bucks
- Eagles Help Open Another "Boundless" Playground in NoCo - Colorado Eagles
- Rage Trade for All-Star Center Aaron Davis - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Bucks Salute To Heroes Night Saturday - Laredo Bucks
- Shots from the Point - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale