IceRays Beat Bucks 5-4 In Overtime
Kyle Peto's goal 89 seconds into overtime capped off an IceRays 5-4 victory over the Laredo Bucks on Saturday night from the Laredo Entertainment Center. Peto was one of five different scorers for the IceRays who have wins in two of their last three games. Corpus Christi now has points in four of the six games this season against Laredo, and plays them two more times to close out the 2009 calendar year. The win improved the IceRays record to 10-14-4 on the season. The victory was Corpus Christi's first in overtime this season. The IceRays return to the American Bank Center to host Laredo Bucks on Tuesday night at 7:05pm in the final home game of 2009. It's Two-For-Tuesday at the American Bank Center. Buy a regular priced IceRays ticket and receive a second one absolutely FREE. Tickets are currently available. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
After being criticized for a slow start in their last game, the IceRays responded by blasting out of the gates on Saturday. Corpus Christi was all over Laredo in the opening minutes and scored two quick goals to take an early lead. Matt Smyth scored on a one-timer from the high slot at 2:54 for his first goal of the season making it 1-0. The Rays then made it 2-0 when Chad Woollard blasted a one-timer at 4:51 through Kyle Gajewski. The IceRays led for much of the period, but Laredo turned the game around late in the period in less than a minute. At 17:08, Laredo got on the board when Neil Trimm scored his third of the year. On the next shift, 35 seconds later, Curtis Billsten scored from the left circle to erase the IceRays lead and tie the game at 2-2. The IceRays outshot the Bucks 13-9 in the period.
The high-scoring pace carried over into the early second period. The Bucks stole the puck in their own zone while shorthanded and rushed up the ice where Lance Monych blasted a slapshot past Kevin Nastiuk 50 seconds into the period to give the Bucks their first lead at 3-2. Later on the same IceRays power play, Jereme Tendler scored at 1:58 to snap a 46 consecutive scoreless power play drought and tie the score 3-3. Following that, at 3:08, the Bucks reclaimed the lead on an Eric Giosa rebound goal making it 4-3. That score held for most of the frame until the Rays answered late. Chris Richards split a pair of defensemen and scored on an in-tight slapshot at 16:34 tying the score 4-4 heading into the third. Following the goal, the Bucks pulled Gajewski and inserted former IceRays goaltender Kris Tebbs for the remainder of the game. Tebbs was signed by Laredo earlier in the day.
Neither team scored in the third period, and the game went to sudden death overtime. In the extra session, Peto emerged as the hero when Justin Quenneville found him cutting down the left circle. Peto took a pass and outdeked Tebbs at 1:29 of OT for the game winning goal.
Kevin Nastiuk (5-8-2) earned the win making 40 saves on 44 shots while Kris Tebbs (2-2-3) took the overtime loss stopping 9 of 10 shots he faced in relief. Gajewski made 18 saves on 22 shots and did not figure into the decision. The IceRays power play went 1-5 and the Bucks went 0-6. The IceRays were outshot by the Bucks 44 -32 in the game.
The IceRays return to the American Bank Center to host Laredo Bucks on Tuesday night at 7:05pm in the final home game of 2009. It's Two-For-Tuesday at the American Bank Center. Buy a regular priced IceRays ticket and receive a second one absolutely FREE. Tickets are currently available. For more information, please call the IceRays at 361.814.PUCK or visit them online at www.goicerays.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 26, 2009
- Americans battle back to beat Brahmas 3-2 in OT - Allen Americans
- Offense Stalls in 3-1 Loss to RiverKings - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mavericks Overcome Thunder 6-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- IceRays Beat Bucks 5-4 In Overtime - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bucks Scrooged In OT By Corpus - Laredo Bucks
- Streak Stoppers Again, RiverKings Stop Mudbugs - Mississippi RiverKings
- Brahmas' Wings' Clipped One Point In 3-2 Overtime Loss - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Leveille Records 300th Career Point in 6-5 Win - Odessa Jackalopes
- Late comeback foiled in a shootout - Amarillo Gorillas
- Reeder Hat Trick Not Enough in Back and Forth Loss - Arizona Sundogs
- Kaleniecki, Detulleo Earn Multi Points in Loss - Wichita Thunder
- Bucks Sign Tebbs, Sibbald Sent Down - Laredo Bucks
- RiverKings Meet The IceRays In Corpus Christi - Mississippi RiverKings
- Saturday's Colorado/Rapid City Game Postponed - CHL
- Saturday's Eagles, Rush Game Postponed - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Corpus Christi IceRays Stories
- Don'T Forget About Justin Quenneville's Retirement Party Tonight
- IceRays Host Street Hockey Challenge
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas
- IceRays Fall 5-4 In Overtime To Brahmas, Trail Series 1-0
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale