Ice Flyers Fall 6-2 against Bulls
PENSACOLA, Fla. - The Ice Flyers fell 6-2 to the Birmingham Bulls in Pelham, Alabama Friday night. Cory Melkert scored both of the goals for Pensacola. Justin Larson, Taylor Dickin, Jacob Barber and Garrett Johnston scored for Birmingham with Josh Harris scoring twice.
Justin Larson opened up the scoring for Birmingham just 1:10 into the first period. He was assisted by Garrett Johnston and Caleb Apperson. At 3:13 Cory Melkert tied the game for Pensacola with his first goal of the season. Josh Cousineau and Tim Moore assisted. At 12:15 Taylor Dickin scored with Justin Larson and Craig Simchuk assisting. Josh Harris closed out the scoring for the first period at 14:46. The assists were from Jacob Barber and Loren Ulett.
Daniel Perigo of the Ice Flyers fought Garrett Schmitz after he was hit by the Bulls' defenseman. At the same time, Russell Jordan fought Nick Owen from the Bulls. The two fights resulted in 5-minute major fighting penalties for the four players. This was in addition to the penalties already being served by each team. Evan Schultz was in the box for Birmingham on account of too many men, while Andrew Schmit was serving a 2-minute minor for interference. Jacob Barber scored at 11:49 in the second to bring the Bulls up 4-1 over Pensacola. He was assisted by Matt Fuller and Josh Harris. Brian Billett replaced Keegan Asmundson in net after Barber's goal. Harris scored his second of the game just 24 seconds later with assists from Jacob Barber and Loren Ulett.
On the power play, Cory Melkert scored his second goal of the game at 3:08 of the third period. Carl Greco and Andrew Schmit assisted. On a pass from Nick Owen, Garrett Johnston scored for Birmingham, making the final score 6-2 at 9:31.
The next Ice Flyers home game is Thursday, December 27 at 6:35 PM! Join us for School's Out/Polar Express Night.
Then on Saturday, December 29 at 7:05 PM join us for the first Military Appreciation Night of the season! 35% off Center Ice tickets for military and their families when purchased at the Bay Center Box Office. Must show valid ID.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from December 15, 2018
- Rivermen Force Overtime, Edge ThunderBolts Saturday - Peoria Rivermen
- Dawgs Edge Marksmen in Shootout on Teddy Bear Toss Night, 4-3 - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Mayhem Clean House on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Macon Mayhem
- Marksmen Comeback Falls Short, Lose 4-3 in SO - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Bulls Fall to Rival Huntsville - Birmingham Bulls
- Ice Flyers Fall 5-1 in Macon - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- Preview: Mayhem vs. Pensacola Ice Flyers (Game 20) - Macon Mayhem
- 'Kickback Jack's Coaches Show' Debuts in January - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Rail Yard Dawgs Game Notes: Rail Yard Dawgs (8-9-0) vs Marksmen (7-9-2) - 7:05 PM - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Bears Back Home, but Can't Grab a Win - Knoxville Ice Bears
- Ice Flyers Fall 6-2 against Bulls - Pensacola Ice Flyers
- Festive Rivermen Hold off Storm Friday, Win Fourth Straight - Peoria Rivermen
- Havoc Ride Big Second Period to 3-2 Win over Evansville - Huntsville Havoc
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.