Ice Dogs' Craig Lyons Out for Season
LONG BEACH, Calif. February 13, 2003 The Long Beach Ice Dogs announced today that right wing Craig Lyons is expected to miss the remainder of the season after undergoing an MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) exam that revealed a tear of the Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) and meniscus in his right knee.
Lyons, 30, who suffered the injury during the second period of the Ice Dogs-Bakersfield Condors game in Bakersfield last Sunday, is scheduled to undergo surgery next week. Keith Feder, a surgeon at Centinela Hospital Medical Center in Inglewood, Calif. will perform the surgery.
Since his signing with the Ice Dogs on Jan. 21, the 6-foot-2, 195-pound Calgary, Alberta native has recorded seven goals and 12 points in nine games.
Lyons has 599 career West Coast Hockey League pointsone point shy from becoming the second WCHL player, behind Anchorages Dean Larson, to reach the 600 point milestone. In addition, Lyons currently ranks second in WCHL career goals (236) and assists (363), and third in games played (364).
Prior to joining the Ice Dogs, Lyons spent the start of the season with the Guildford Flames of the British National League (BNL), whom he signed with after the Colorado Gold Kings folded in August. Lyons played the last four seasons with Colorado and another two (1996-98) with the Fresno Falcons. Second on the Gold Kings' all-time scoring list, Lyons collected 384 points (145-239=384) in only 244 games played. Highlighting his tenure with Colorado, Lyons was named the WCHL's Most Valuable Player for the 2000-01 season after leading the league in assists (76) and points (117).
The Ice Dogs have lost 146 man-games due to injurythe most to date since being in the WCHL. The Ice Dogs currently have four players on the season-ending injured list. Lyons joins Tomas Kapusta, Zdenek Vanc and Tyler Johnston. Other Ice Dogs, forwards Jeff Attard, Tomas Hradecky and defenseman Bryan Vines are also nursing injuries.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 13, 2003
- Sea Wolves in 'Paradise' with win over Kingfish, 5-4 - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- RiverBlades Drop 3rd Straight - Arkansas RiverBlades
- Boardwalk Bullies Announce Itinerary for Stanley Cup Tour - Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullies
- Big Fat Utah Wedding at the E-Center on Valentine's Day - Utah Grizzlies
- Generals score two in third for win - Greensboro Generals
- Sea Wolves down Kingfish, 5-4 - Baton Rouge Kingfish
- Herrington Placed On 30 Day IR & Bergin Placed On 7 Day IR - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Dayton's Chris M. Thompson Suspended Three Games - ECHL
- Generals Game Night Notes - Greensboro Generals
- Ice Dogs' Craig Lyons Out for Season - Long Beach Ice Dogs
- Big weekend on tap - Louisiana IceGators
- Grizzlies Lose Ott To The Stars - Utah Grizzlies
- Quick Score in Overtime Drops Grizzlies - Utah Grizzlies
- Gulls Beat Condors, 2-1 in Shootout - San Diego Gulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Long Beach Ice Dogs Stories
- Kelly Cup comes to Long Beach (for a visit)
- Long Beach lets the dogs in, literally
- American Idol contestant William Hung to perform at Long Beach Ice Dogs game Saturday night
- Ice Dogs and fans donate over 2,000 books to charity
- ECHL Commissioner Brian McKenna in Long Beach Wednesday