Hughes Rejoins Chocolate and White on AHL Deal
(Hershey, PA) - The Hershey Bears announced today that the club has signed defenseman Tommy Hughes to a one-year, AHL contract for the 2019-20 season.
Hughes, 27, returns to the organization after a season overseas. Hughes inked an AHL deal with the Bears in 2017, appearing in 10 games with the Chocolate and White in 2017-18, registering two penalty minutes. He spent the majority of that campaign with Hershey's ECHL affiliate, the South Carolina Stingrays, collecting 10 points (three goals, seven assists) in 39 games.
Hughes played with the Nottingham Panthers of the Elite Ice Hockey League (EIHL) last season, collecting 18 points (five goals, 13 assists) in 55 games. The 6-foot-2, 225-pound blue liner spent the first four seasons of his professional career in the AHL with the Hartford Wolf Pack from 2013-17. Hughes has appeared in 236 AHL games, registering 30 points (five goals, 25 assists) and 145 penalty minutes. He has also appeared in 15 career Calder Cup Playoff games, scoring three points (one goal, two assists).
Hughes was originally signed as an undrafted free agent by the New York Rangers on Apr. 1, 2013. The native of London, Ontario played for the hometown London Knights of the OHL for parts of four seasons before turning professional. He led the club to back-to-back OHL titles in 2011-12 and 2012-13, and struck for 32 points (three goals, 29 assists) in 169 career junior games.
The Bears open the 2019-20 season on Saturday, Oct. 5 at the Giant Center versus Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. Season ticket packages for Hershey's 2019-20 season are on sale now, featuring discounted costs and extra added benefits. Full Season, Half Season, 12-game, and Flex-10 plans are available with packages starting at just $205. For more information, call 717-520-5796 or visit HersheyBears.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from July 11, 2019
- Visit IceHogs at Fred VanVleet Fest this Friday - Rockford IceHogs
- Rockford IceHogs Release 2019-20 Regular Season Schedule - Rockford IceHogs
- Ben Sexton Signs with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Kings LA Kings Sign Forward Samuel Fagemo to a Three-Year Entry-Level Contract - Ontario Reign
- Moose Reveal 2019-20 Promotional Schedule - Manitoba Moose
- Erik Burgdoerfer Returns to Bears on AHL Contract - Hershey Bears
- Ontario Reign Announce Hockey Operations Hires - Ontario Reign
- Hughes Rejoins Chocolate and White on AHL Deal - Hershey Bears
- Broome County Announces a Development of Plans for Future Arena Upgrades - Binghamton Devils
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.