Houston Astros Recall Round Rock Express RHP Cy Sneed
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Houston Astros have recalled Round Rock Express RHP Cy Sneed, the club announced on Wednesday afternoon. Sneed is making his third trip to The Show in 2019 after stints with Houston from June 27-July 12 and July 23-August 2.
In a corresponding roster move, Astros RHP Joe Biagini was optioned to the Express. Biagini was acquired by Houston from Toronto in a trade deadline deal that sent E-Train OF Derek Fisher to the Blue Jays. The righty has allowed two runs on nine hits in 7.0 total innings across four relief appearances with Houston.
Sneed has been one of Round Rock's most consistent pitchers in 2019, posting a 7-6 record with a 4.22 ERA (38 ER/81.0 IP), 70 strikeouts and 24 walks in 18 games, including nine starts. He last pitched for Round Rock on August 11, recording a pair of outs in a brief relief appearance against the Albuquerque Isotopes.
The 26-year-old earned Pacific Coast League Player of the Week Honors in May prior to being named to the PCL team for the 2019 Triple-A All-Star Game. Sneed was unable to attend, as he was called up to Houston to make his major league debut just days after. In three total games with the Astros, all in relief, the righty has posted no record with a 3.75 ERA (5 ER/12.0 IP). He has struck out 12 to just three walks during his time with the big league club.
Sneed posted a solid 2018 campaign with the Fresno Grizzlies a year ago, going 10-6 with a 3.83 ERA (54 ER/127.0 IP) in 26 games, including 20 starts. He led the club in wins and innings pitched while only allowing six home runs on the year. In six professional seasons, Sneed has compiled a 37-36 record with a 4.19 ERA (283 ER/607.1 IP), 533 strikeouts and just 190 walks in 182 career games, including 97 starts.
The Elko, Nevada native was acquired by the Houston Astros from the Milwaukee Brewers in a November 19, 2015 trade for INF Jonathan Villar. He was originally drafted by the Brewers in the third round of the June 2014 draft. The Sneed family is no stranger to the MLB Draft as his father Robert was drafted by the New York Mets in the 1986 draft while his brother Zeb was selected by the Kansas City Royals in the 2012 draft.
After a league-wide off-day on Wednesday, the Express return home to open their penultimate homestand of the 2019 season against the Oklahoma City Dodgers. First pitch in Thursday night's series opener at Dell Diamond is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 14, 2019
- Bees Host El Paso in Penultimate 2019 Homestand - Salt Lake Bees
- Aviators Soar Once Again on Road, Return Home Tied for First - Las Vegas Aviators
- Division Title on the Line as Reno Hosts Sacramento this Weekend - Reno Aces
- Fresno Grizzlies Issue Statement - Fresno Grizzlies
- Memphis Redbirds Homestand Highlights (August 15-25) - Memphis Redbirds
- Houston Astros Recall Round Rock Express RHP Cy Sneed - Round Rock Express
- Bullpen falters in series-ending loss to Sounds - Sacramento River Cats
- Read's walk-off double gives Tacos 8-7 win over Redbirds - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Bring out Brooms, Win Fifth Straight Overall - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Nashville Completes Comeback Win to Finish Series - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Stung in Bottom of the Ninth at Fresno - Memphis Redbirds
- El Paso Completes Sweep of Missions - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Special Guests Added for Encore Drive-In Night at Dell Diamond
- Koe Wetzel to Perform Live at Dell Diamond on October 16
- Inaugural Tailgates and Tunes Concert Series Relaunched
- Encore Drive-In Night Featuring Kane Brown Comes to Dell Diamond
- Make It a September to Remember at Dell Diamond