Nashville Completes Comeback Win to Finish Series
SACRAMENTO - In a game where the Nashville Sounds were trailing in the first half of the game, they were able to beat the Sacramento River Cats 13-10 thanks to a late seven-run inning.
The first runs of the game came from the Sounds in the top of the second inning. Patrick Wisdom led off with a double and Eli White traded places with him, hitting a double himself to score the first run. White would later score on an error to make it 2-0 early.
Sacramento grabbed lead immediately in the bottom of the second inning. Francisco Pena hit a solo home run to give the River Cats their first run. Levi Michael hit a two-run double to take the lead later in the inning to give Sacramento the 3-2 lead.
Both teams scored in the third inning. Wisdom hit an RBI single that scored Nick Solak and tied the game at 3. But Sacramento retook the lead on an RBI double by Pena and made the score 4-3.
The River Cats scored two more runs in the bottom of the fourth inning. Michael had another two-run hit, this time a single. That gave Sacramento the 6-3 lead.
The Sounds made their comeback in the top of the sixth inning. With two runners on and two outs, Solak knocked them both in on a double to pull Nashville within one run. He would then score on an Andy Ibanez single to tie the game at 6.
Nashville exploded for seven runs in the top of the seventh inning. Wisdom led off with a double and reached third base on a passed ball. He scored on a Scott Heineman single. The Sounds would load the bases with no outs and Tim Federowicz walked in a run. Solak hit a single to move everyone up a base. Ibáñez finished the job with a grand slam to give the Sounds the 13-6 lead.
Four more runs were scored by Sacramento in the ninth but Nashville would win 13-10 and took the series against Sacramento, winning three games to one. The Sounds have an off-day tomorrow before beginning a quick four-game homestand against Omaha. Left-hander Joe Palumbo (2-0, 3.43) is set to start for Nashville while left-hander Jake Kalish (7-6, 5.23) is scheduled to start for Omaha. First pitch is at 7:05 pm.
With tonight's 13-10 win, the Sounds improved to 53-66 in 2019.
The Sounds went 6-1 on their road trip in California. Tonight gave the Sounds their ninth series win.
Andy Ibáñez' grand slam was the third grand slam of the season by Nashville. It was the first grand slam of his professional career. His five RBI also matched the season team-high.
Patrick Wisdom's four hits was a career-high for him. He has recorded 32 three-hits games in his career.
Wei-Chieh Huang, Shane Carle and Kyle Bird combined for 5.0 shutout relief innings to halt Sacramento's offense.
The 2019 season is the 42nd in Nashville Sounds franchise history and first as the Triple-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers. Single-game tickets are available now by calling (615) 690-4487 or by visiting www.nashvillesounds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 14, 2019
- Bees Host El Paso in Penultimate 2019 Homestand - Salt Lake Bees
- Aviators Soar Once Again on Road, Return Home Tied for First - Las Vegas Aviators
- Division Title on the Line as Reno Hosts Sacramento this Weekend - Reno Aces
- Fresno Grizzlies Issue Statement - Fresno Grizzlies
- Memphis Redbirds Homestand Highlights (August 15-25) - Memphis Redbirds
- Houston Astros Recall Round Rock Express RHP Cy Sneed - Round Rock Express
- Bullpen falters in series-ending loss to Sounds - Sacramento River Cats
- Read's walk-off double gives Tacos 8-7 win over Redbirds - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Bring out Brooms, Win Fifth Straight Overall - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Nashville Completes Comeback Win to Finish Series - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Stung in Bottom of the Ninth at Fresno - Memphis Redbirds
- El Paso Completes Sweep of Missions - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Sounds Announce Weekly Promotions for 2020 Season
- Defending National Champion Commodores Set to Play Two Games at First Horizon Park
- Sounds to Host Texas Rangers Winter Caravan at Ole Smoky Distillery & Yee-Haw Brewing Co. Tomorrow
- Group Outings for 2020 Season On-Sale Now
- Sounds to Host Texas Rangers Winter Caravan at Ole Smoky Distillery & Yee-Haw Brewing Co. at 6th and Peabody on January 29