Hot Start, Late Strike Help Stockton Top Bakersfield
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - The Stockton Heat raced out to a 3-0 first-period lead before holding on late for a 4-3 win over the Pacific Division foe Bakersfield Condors Saturday night at Mechanics Bank Arena. The Heat capitalized on early chances from Matthew Phillips, Brandon Davidson and Buddy Robinson to build the sizable cushion until Bakersfield rattled off three unanswered of its own, tying the game heading into the final frame. Eetu Tuulola delivered the game-winner, his second game-winning goal of his brief professional career, with 9:49 left on the clock and the Heat weathered two late penalty kills to salvage the road victory. With the win, Stockton is now 4-0 on the year in road contests, including this weekend's pair of divisional victories. Artyom Zagidulin was solid between the pipes, rebounding from his first loss with 24 stops on 27 shots faced in the contest.
W: Artyom Zagidulin (27 shots, 24 saves)
L: Dylan Wells (14 shots, 13 saves)
ND: Stuart Skinner (5 shots, 2 saves)
Three Stars: First - Eetu Tuulola (1g), Second - Brandon Davidson (1g), Third - Tyler Benson (2a)
Final Shots: STK - 21, BAK - 27
Power Plays: STK - 1-2, BAK - 2-5
- Alan Quine registered a pair of assists in the first period, his second-straight multi-assist game. Quine now has five points in Stockton's last three games.
- Two of Eetu Tuulola's three goals are game-winners.
- Dillon Dube has six assists in Stockton's last four games.
- Artyom Zagidulin rebounded from his first loss with 24 stops on 27 shots faced, earning the win.
- The Heat start the year 4-0 on the road, 5-1 overall.
- Stockton and Bakersfield are tied 1-1 in the season series, each with a road win.
- Jake Christiansen made his professional debut in the game.
- The win at Bakersfield was the first for Stockton since March 9, 2018, when Stockton won 3-1. The Heat snap a five-game winless streak when visiting the Condors.
Stockton returns to home ice on Friday, October 27 as they host the Condors on Flash Back Friday and Teacher Appreciation Night.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 20, 2019
- Amerks Weekly - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Rally for Shootout Win - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Fall to Wolves in Shoot-Out - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Pick up Point in 6-5 Shootout Loss to Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Flyers Recall Joel Farabee and Mikhail Vorobyev - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Flames Recall Alan Quine - Stockton Heat
- Malone Extends Streak in Condors 4-3 Loss - Bakersfield Condors
- Panthers Loan F Henrik Borgstrom to Springfield - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Marlies Close out Homestand Today - Toronto Marlies
- Moose Doubled up by Iowa - Manitoba Moose
- Rampage Fall in Tucson for First Regulation Loss - San Antonio Rampage
- Undeterred Roadrunners Rally in Third - Tucson Roadrunners
- Hot Start, Late Strike Help Stockton Top Bakersfield - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.