Hitmen goaltender Chris Driedger becomes sixth goalie in WHL history to score a goal
Cranbrook, BC - The Kootenay Ice stormed back from a 2-0 first period deficit to beat the Calgary Hitmen 5-2 Saturday night at Western Financial Place.
Tim Bozon and Austin Vetterl both scored twice for the Ice while Jaedon Descheneau added a single helping Kootenay improve to a perfect 3-0 at home against Calgary this season.
One night after setting the Hitmen franchise record for most career regular season saves; Chris Driedger carved his name in the record books again becoming only the sixth goalie in WHL history, the first in club history, to score a goal. With the Ice on a delayed first period powerplay a Kootenay pass to the blueline eluded both defencemen and went all the way down into their own empty net with Driedger getting credit for the goal.
Brady Brassart also scored for Calgary, his 22nd of the season, as the Hitmen built a 2-0 lead less than six minutes into the first period.
Kootenay pulled even in the second period before taking their first lead just over a minute into the final frame. Calgary then ran into penalty trouble taking six consecutive minors. They killed all six but after getting back to even strength the Ice scored a pair of empty net goals to put the game away.
With the loss Calgary falls to 32-14-3-3. They remain third in the Western Hockey League Eastern Conference with 70 points.
The Hitmen five game BC road trip continues Tuesday night for the first of back-to-back games on Vancouver Island against the Victoria Royals. The Hitmen will play the Royals again on Wednesday before heading to Vancouver on Friday and Kamloops Saturday before returning to Scotiabank Saddledome on Tuesday, February 11th for a tilt against the Prince Albert Raiders.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 2, 2014
- Scrappy Silvertips Conquer Chiefs in OT - Everett Silvertips
- Kelowna beats Kamloops - Kelowna Rockets
- Giants Lose 3-2 to the Royals in Overtime - Vancouver Giants
- Winterhawks Shut out T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Rockets Too Much For Blazers - Kamloops Blazers
- Americans Win 4-2 over the Rebels - Red Deer Rebels
- Royals Best Giants at Pink in the Rink - Victoria Royals
- Winterhawks' Win Streak Hits 10 with 3-0 Shutout over Seattle - Portland Winterhawks
- Americans Close out Road Trip with 4-2 Victory over Rebels - Tri-City Americans
- Oil Kings Win 8th Straight - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Hitmen goaltender Chris Driedger becomes sixth goalie in WHL history to score a goal - Calgary Hitmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Calgary Hitmen Stories
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Tuesday, October 23 at Red Deer
- Hitmen Forward Mark Kastelic Named WHL Player of the Week
- Hitmen Stay Hot by Topping Wheat Kings in OT
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Saturday, October 20 at Brandon
- Stankowski Outstanding in 5-1 Hitmen Victory