Hickory Edges Drive, 1-0, on Friday
GREENVILLE, S.C. - The Greenville Drive and the Hickory Crawdads saw their respective pitching staffs duel on Friday night at Fluor Field, but ultimately the Crawdads claimed the win, 1-0, to take the 2-0 lead in the series.
Both starting pitchers were in control from the outset. Drive starter Brayan Bello faced the minimum through two outs in the sixth and would see just three above the minimum for his 7.0 innings of work. Hickory starter Cole Winn retired the first nine batters he faced in order and went on to face just two above the minimum through his 5.0 innings of work.
Hickory managed the lone run in the game, coming in the sixth. With two outs and no one on, Frainyer Chavez doubled to left and Jax Biggers followed with a single to right to score Chavez and put the Crawdads ahead, 1-0.
The Drive threatened in the fourth and seventh innings but both opportunities slipped away. In the fourth, a lead-off walk to Everlouis Lozada and a one-out single by Triston Casas put runners at the corners with one out. Winn wriggled out of it with back-to-back strikeouts to keep the game scoreless at the time.
In the seventh, Kole Cottam tripled to right to lead off the inning, but a groundout and two strikeouts left him stranded.
Winn earned the win to improve to 3-4 on the year, while Bello was the tough-luck loser, falling to 5-8 on the season. Hickory reliever Lucas Jacobsen earned his second save of the year, recording a 1-2-3 ninth inning.
Angel Padron kept the Drive within reach in the late innings, throwing a scoreless eighth and ninth inning. He allowed two hits and issued a pair of walks with one strikeout.
The series continues on Saturday with first pitch at 7:05 PM. Drive right-hander Alex Scherff takes the hill against Hickory right-hander Tyree Thompson.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 16, 2019
- Five-Run Third Fuels Fantastic Friday Night Fireflies Victory - Columbia Fireflies
- Zangari Homers in Kannapolis' 2-1 Extra Inning Loss - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Suns Claim 4-1 Win Behind Mendoza Bomb - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs Fall in Early Hole, Drop Second Straight - Charleston RiverDogs
- Offense Slams RiverDogs as Tourists Keep Rolling - Asheville Tourists
- 'Birds Pound Three Homers, Blank 'Claws - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Hickory Edges Drive, 1-0, on Friday - Greenville Drive
- Greensboro Walks-It-Off 4-3 over Jackets - Augusta GreenJackets
- De Los Santos' Quality Start Not Enough in 4-1 Loss - West Virginia Power
- GreenJackets Announce 2020 Schedule - Augusta GreenJackets
- Shewmake promoted to Double-A Mississippi - Rome Braves
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (August 16) - West Virginia Power
- Ballpark Festival of Beers Postponed to Saturday, October 19 - Charleston RiverDogs
- RiverDogs' Helen McGuckin Night Tabbed as MiLB's July Promotion of the Month - Charleston RiverDogs
- RiverDogs to Honor Charleston in Penultimate Homestand - Charleston RiverDogs
- Fireflies Sink Braves with 8th Inning Rally - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.