Offense Slams RiverDogs as Tourists Keep Rolling
ASHEVILLE - The Asheville Tourists won for the fifth time in their last six games with a statement victory over the Charleston RiverDogs. Asheville pounded their opponents to a tune of a 12-3 final score. The Tourists scored nine of their 12 runs in the first two innings and tied a 50-year old league record in the process. More on that to come.
Will Golsan smacked a leadoff double in the first inning and promptly scored on Niko Decolati's RBI triple into the left field corner. Decolati made it 2-0 when he raced home on a wild pitch. Those two runs were just the appetizer.
The Tourists loaded the bases with one out in the bottom of the second on three singles. Kyle Datres stepped to the plate with the intention of building Asheville's lead; not making history. Datres did both. Kyle squared up a fastball and hit it over the right-field wall for Asheville's eighth Grand Slam of the season. The eight Grand Slams ties the single-season record set by the Greenville Braves in 1969.
Daniel Montano delivered an RBI single after the Tourists once again loaded the bases and Asheville added two more runs to make it a seven-run frame. That was more than enough for the Tourists' starting pitcher.
Nick Bush was sensational. The former LSU Tiger surrendered only one hit over six innings. The RiverDogs did not sniff a run against the lefty. Bush earned his seventh win of the season and struck out eight on the night.
Coco Montes added an RBI double to the mix in the seventh inning and John Cresto followed with a two-run Home Run. All three of Charleston's runs came late in a three-run Home Run by Josh Breaux.
Asheville and Charleston square off for game three of this four-game series on Saturday night at 6:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 16, 2019
- Five-Run Third Fuels Fantastic Friday Night Fireflies Victory - Columbia Fireflies
- Zangari Homers in Kannapolis' 2-1 Extra Inning Loss - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Suns Claim 4-1 Win Behind Mendoza Bomb - Hagerstown Suns
- RiverDogs Fall in Early Hole, Drop Second Straight - Charleston RiverDogs
- Offense Slams RiverDogs as Tourists Keep Rolling - Asheville Tourists
- 'Birds Pound Three Homers, Blank 'Claws - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Hickory Edges Drive, 1-0, on Friday - Greenville Drive
- Greensboro Walks-It-Off 4-3 over Jackets - Augusta GreenJackets
- De Los Santos' Quality Start Not Enough in 4-1 Loss - West Virginia Power
- GreenJackets Announce 2020 Schedule - Augusta GreenJackets
- Shewmake promoted to Double-A Mississippi - Rome Braves
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (August 16) - West Virginia Power
- Ballpark Festival of Beers Postponed to Saturday, October 19 - Charleston RiverDogs
- RiverDogs' Helen McGuckin Night Tabbed as MiLB's July Promotion of the Month - Charleston RiverDogs
- RiverDogs to Honor Charleston in Penultimate Homestand - Charleston RiverDogs
- Fireflies Sink Braves with 8th Inning Rally - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.