Heat Defeat Checkers 4-3
Abbotsford, BC - The Abbotsford Heat beat the Charlotte Checkers (AHL affiliate of the Carolina Hurricanes) 4-3 on Tuesday night at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre (AESC). The Heat remain in first place in the Western Conference with a 30-14-3-1 record and 64 points.
Corban Knight continued his strong play, scoring the game winning goal. Brett Olson also added three points on the night (0-3-3) and Ben Street netted one goal and one assist. Markus Granlund kept his point streak going, and has now recorded five straight games in which he has tallied points (5-4-9).
Sven Baertschi s tarted off the night's scoring with a goal at 12:43 in the first period, assiste d by Corey Locke and Derek Smith. The Checkers responded with defenseman Dan Biega's first goal of the season at 15:36. The Heat outshot the Checkers 15 to 10 in the first period.
Markus Granlund delivered early in the second period, scoring a short-handed goal from Brett Olson at 1:21. Zach Boychuk came back to tie up the game for the Checkers at 15:26. The second period ended in a 2-2 tie.
Third period scoring was opened by Ben Street, assisted by Olson and Brady Lamb at 9:30. Biega quickly evened the score, netting his second goal of the night at 11:11. Corban Knight regained the lead for the Heat, putting the puck past Mike Murphy at 16:47 in the third period, assisted by Street and Olson.
Abbotsford was zero for four on the power play and killed off all three of the Checkers man advantages.
Olivier Roy made 32 of 35 saves for the Heat, with opponent Mike Murphy stopping 24 out of 28 shots.
This weekend the Heat will host the Texas Stars (AHL affiliate of the Dallas Stars) on February 8th and 9th . Saturday, February 8th will be Country Night, so come in your best country get-up and have the chance to win tickets to Florida Georgia Line, Dean Brody, or $15,000 dollars. Saturday will also feature the third $3 $2 $1 Brew Dog 'N Pop night.
February 9th will be theannual Pink in the Rink night supporting the BC Cancer Research Foundation. Fans looking to attend this Sunday's game should use the code PINK14 on Ticketmaster.ca, with partial proceeds from all tickets sold using this promo code benefitting the BC Cancer Foundation. For tickets please call 1-877-452-HEAT (4328) or visit us online atwww.abbotsfordheat.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 6, 2014
- Pirri Assigned to Rockford from Chicago with Bouchard - Rockford IceHogs
- Bouchard Traded to Blackhawks - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monarchs Game to be Aired on SiriusXM NHL Network Radio - Manchester Monarchs
- Kings-Montreal Announce Trade - Manchester Monarchs
- Dallas Stars Reassign Dustin Jeffrey to Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Penguins Acquire Forward Spencer Machacek from Columbus - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Blue Jackets Acquire Paul Thompson, Trade Spencer Machacek - Springfield Falcons
- Heat Game to Air on SiriusXM NHL Network Radio - Abbotsford Heat
- Jeff Hoggan Calder Cup Figurine Giveaway Slated for Valentine's Weekend - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Canadiens Acquire Czarnik from Kings for Quailer - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Falcons to Hold Online Auction for Select 20th Anniversary Jerseys - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Recall Crowder from Cincinnati - Milwaukee Admirals
- Comets Corner with Jeremy Welsh - Utica Comets
- Minnesota Assigns Veilleux, Recalls Gustafsson - Iowa Wild
- Saturday's Hershey Bears Game to be Televised - Hershey Bears
- Tom Caron Selected as 2014 Portland Pirates Hall of Fame Inductee - Portland Pirates
- Andrey Pedan Reassigned to Stockton - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Schultz Returns to Manchester - Manchester Monarchs
- Rampage Sled Hockey Team to Host Tournament this Weekend - San Antonio Rampage
- Saad Bobbleheads and Player Cards this Weekend - Rockford IceHogs
- Visit from Spider-Man Highlights Amerks' Annual Kids Day Game February 16 - Rochester Americans
- Capitals Recall Defensemen Julien Brouillette and Patrick Wey from Hershey - Hershey Bears
- Comets Rebound for 3-2 Shootout Win at Iowa - Utica Comets
- Heat Defeat Checkers 4-3 - Abbotsford Heat
- Checkers Come up Empty in Abbotsford - Charlotte Checkers
- Admirals Tame Bulldogs 4-2 - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.