Hawks Rout the Oil Kings at Home
Offense continued to groove in the friendly confides of Veterans Memorial Coliseum as the Hawks routed the Oil Kings 8-2. TNT was played plenty and often as the Winterhawks collect their fifth straight win of the season.
In the first period, the Winterhawks jumped to a 2-0 lead. Cody Glass scored the first goal of the night in his first appearance as team captain. His linemates Joachim Blichfeld and Reece Newkirk made exceptional plays to set Glass up on the left wing post for his second goal of the season. The trio would add another goal at the midway point of the first. Blichfeld won a board battle behind the net and Cody Glass fed a gorgeous puck across the seam to Newkirk who forced in his fifth of the year.
Edmonton responded with a goal eight seconds into the second thanks to their leading scorer Trey Fix-Wolansky, but the Hawks made the most noise of the frame. Ryan Hughes and Mason Mannek scored on back-to-back power play chances to open the lead at 4-1 a few minutes later. Special teams play continued with a two-on-oh rush shorthanded and the organization's 43rd captain bangs home his second goal of the night.
The rest of the night was highlighted by a couple of WHL firsts. Cross Hanas bodied an Oil King skater hard off the puck and Jaydon Dureau slipped passed a defender to find Michal Kvasnica cross ice for a one-time goal to make it 6-2. The goal was his first as a Winterhawk.
The Hawks owned the third period as well, scoring two more power play goal. Jake Gricius knocked in his fifth of the year and Cross Hanas showed his hand-eye coordination by batting in a puck mid-air to net the first of his WHL career.
The Hawks are set to take on the Everett Silvertips at home on Sunday, October 14th at the Moda Center. Individual tickets are now on sale. Be sure to visit winterhawks.com/tickets for full details on pricing and availability.
1st @ 5:04 - POR - Cody Glass (2), Joachim Blichfeld, Reece Newkirk
1st @ 12:07 - POR - Reece Newkirk (5), Cody Glass, Joachim Blichfeld
2nd @ 0:08 - EDM Trey Fix-Wolansky (6), Quinn Benjafield
2nd @ 2:35 - POR - Ryan Hughes (2), Cody Glass, Joachim Blichfeld (PP)
2nd @ 3:28 - POR - Mason Mannek (3), Cross Hanas, Seth Jarvis (PP)
2nd @ 9:27 - POR - Cody Glass (3), Joachim Blichfeld
2nd @ 12:08 - EDM Scott Atkinson (2), Carter Souch
2nd @ 13:31 - POR - Michal Kvasnica (1), Jaydon Dureau
3rd @ 6:48 - POR - Jake Gricius (5), Reece Newkirk, Joachim Blichfeld (PP)
3rd @ 10:07 - POR - Cross Hanas (1), Ryan Hughes, Seth Jarvis (PP)
SHOTS ON GOAL:
POR: Shane Farkas with 28 saves
EDM: Dylan Myskiw with 14 saves; Boston Bilous with 9 saves
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from October 11, 2018
- Rockets Ready for Home-And-Home with Americans - Kelowna Rockets
- Blades Acquire Draft Pick from Kelowna for Farren - Saskatoon Blades
- Rockets Acquire Farren from Blades - Kelowna Rockets
- Rebels Riding Five-Game Win Streak Heading into the First of Two Weekend Road Contests - Red Deer Rebels
- Forward Sean Gulka Leaves Team, Rights Returned to Victoria - Spokane Chiefs
- 7 Days for Boarding Contest Lifts off Friday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- ICE Announce Leadership Group for 2018-19 Season - Kootenay Ice
- Step-By-Step Instructions to Bid on Wilderness Camo Jersey Online - Kootenay Ice
- In the Cards: Q&A with Cole Sillinger - Medicine Hat Tigers
- PG Cougars Minor Sports Day October 21st - Prince George Cougars
- Seattle Downs Rockets in Scorefest 9-6 - Kelowna Rockets
- Hawks Rout the Oil Kings at Home - Portland Winterhawks
- Philp's Four Floors Rockets - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Lethbridge Tops Pats on the Road - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Winterhawks Stories
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland at Victoria - Game #31
- Glass to Canada's National Junior Team Selection Camp
- Sweep City, Hawks Shutout Cougars 3-0
- Prospect Lochlan Gordon Named to Team Alberta
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland vs. Prince George - Game #30