Hawks even road trip with 11-5 win at Yakima
Drew Rundle hit his seventh home run of the season and Marwin Gonzalez knocked in four runs as the Boise Hawks pounded out 13 hits in a 11-5 victory over the Yakima Bears before 1,614 fans at County Stadium.
With the win, coupled with a Spokane loss, moved Boise within five game of the first-place Indians with just ten games remaining in the regular season.
After spotting the Bears a 1-0 lead in the first, the Hawks bats came alive. An RBI double by Sean Hoorelbeke, an RBI single by Michael Brenly, and a two-run Gonzalez double in a four-run second inning gave Boise the lead for good.
Rundle hit his blast in the fourth to extend the margin to 7-1, while Boise added three more runs in the sixth and a single run in the eighth.
Kyler Burke went 3-for-3 with three runs scored in the victory, as the Hawks improved to 5-3 this season against Yakima.
Chris Carpenter got the win in relief, tossing four innings - allowing just one hit and allowing a pair of unearned runs. Andrew Cashner allowed just one run on five hits in his four innings of work - striking out five.
The rubber game of not only the series, but of the 11-game road trip is Monday night, with Jeff Beliveau meeting knuckleballer Houston Summers at 8:05 p.m. (PDT).
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from August 25, 2008
- Vancouver drops first end of doubleheader falling 6-3 to Aquasox Monday afternoon - Vancouver Canadians
- World Record Announced in Keizer - Salem-Keizer Volcanoes
- The Final Homestand of 2008 Is Upon Us - Everett AquaSox
- Vancouver Canadians unveil new Hall of Fame dedicated to Broadcasters and Journalists - Vancouver Canadians
- Americans Ink Second Round Pick Moser - Tri-City Dust Devils
- Indians and Dust Devils Ready for Series - Spokane Indians
- Hawks even road trip with 11-5 win at Yakima - Boise Hawks
- August 26 - 31 homestand - the final 'stand of the season - Boise Hawks
- Tri-City Beats First Place Spokane - Tri-City Dust Devils
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.