Hammerheads Beat Mets 9-2, Snap Long Losing Skid
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. - The Jupiter Hammerheads snapped a 10-game losing streak with a 9-2 victory over the St. Lucie Mets on Wednesday at First Data Field.
Jupiter starter Braxton Garrett, the No. 7 overall pick by the Marlins in the 2016 draft, held the Mets to one run over 6.1 innings to earn his first win of the season.
The Mets scored both of their runs on solo homers. Quinn Brodey hit his fourth long ball of the season in the sixth to bring the Mets within three of the lead. Jeremy Vasquez slugged his second home run of the season in the eighth inning.
Mets starter Kevin Smith pitched well but was taken out of the game after four scoreless innings with a rising pitch count. He struck out eight hitters and scattered four hits while throwing 72 pitches.
The Hammerheads offense did all the damage against the Mets bullpen with the help of a couple errors.
Jupiter broke a scoreless tie by scoring four runs with two outs in the fifth inning. Connor Grant and Isael Soto hit back-to-back RBI singles with the bases loaded to make it 2-0. An error on Mets third baseman Blake Tiberi allowed two more runs to come in on a ground ball hit by Jhonny Santos.
Lazaro Alonso hit a two-run home run for Jupiter in the seventh to make it 6-1.
In the ninth inning Soto hit a two-run shot to put the Hammerheads up 9-2.
Darwin Ramos took the loss for the Mets. He was tagged for four runs, all unearned, in two innings of work.
Manny Rodriguez went 1 for 4 to extend his hitting streak to nine games.
Brodey went 2 for 3 to push his hitting streak to seven games.
The Mets (26-25) and Hammerheads (14-35) conclude their series at First Data Field on Thursday. It's Dollar Night with $1 beer (8 oz. cans of Bud and Bud Light), $1 hot dogs, $1 soda and $1 popcorn. First pitch is 6:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from May 29, 2019
- Larnach Lashes Fire Frogs, 7-1 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Sanmartin Stifles Redbirds in 5-0 Triumph - Daytona Tortugas
- Larnach, Enlow Lift Miracle To 7-1 Victory - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Hammerheads Beat Mets 9-2, Snap Long Losing Skid - St. Lucie Mets
- Dunedin Looks to Continue Their Momentum against the Tarpons - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Gomez Gashes Two Doubles in 3-2 Loss to Clearwater - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- RHP Maximo Castillo Tosses Six Strong Innings in Series Opening Win over Tampa - Dunedin Blue Jays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.