Gomez Gashes Two Doubles in 3-2 Loss to Clearwater
PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. - Moises Gomez connected on a pair of doubles Wednesday, but the Charlotte Stone Crabs allowed the winning run to come across in the top of the ninth in a 3-2 loss to the Clearwater Threshers at Charlotte Sports Park.
The Stone Crabs (27-25) went 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position, missing several opportunities to tie the game or take the lead.
Gomez, Ronaldo Hernandez and Thomas Milone each notched multiple hits in the loss.
After Clearwater went ahead 1-0 on a Colby Fitch sacrifice fly in the top of the second, Hernandez singled to left to start the bottom of the fourth. After a Milone base hit moved Hernandez to second, Gomez flew out to right to put runners at the corners with one out. Jim Haley then grounded a ball to third, beating out a potential double play. That allowed Hernandez to score and tie the game at one.
The Threshers re-gained the lead in the top of the fifth on a Fitch single.
However, the Stone Crabs immediately fought back in the sixth. After Milone singled on a grounder to center, Gomez torched an RBI double to the left field corner, tying the game 2-2.
With the ballgame still deadlocked in the top of the ninth, Charlotte reliever Justin Marsden (0-1) retired the first two batters before Fitch reached on a dribbler in front of home plate. The next batter was Danny Mayer, who popped a ball up down the right field line. Gomez made a diving attempt but couldn't reach the ball, and Fitch raced home to give the Threshers a 3-2 lead.
Charlotte starter Paul Campbell pitched well, allowing only two runs on five hits over six innings. He struck out five and walked only one.
Stone Crabs lefty Michael Plassmeyer (2-0, 1.83) will Thursday's 6:30 p.m. rubber game, against right-hander Julian Garcia (3-3, 3.35) of Clearwater. Coverage begins at 6:15 p.m. on the Stone Crabs Baseball Network.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from May 29, 2019
- Larnach Lashes Fire Frogs, 7-1 - Florida Fire Frogs
- Sanmartin Stifles Redbirds in 5-0 Triumph - Daytona Tortugas
- Larnach, Enlow Lift Miracle To 7-1 Victory - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Hammerheads Beat Mets 9-2, Snap Long Losing Skid - St. Lucie Mets
- Dunedin Looks to Continue Their Momentum against the Tarpons - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Gomez Gashes Two Doubles in 3-2 Loss to Clearwater - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- RHP Maximo Castillo Tosses Six Strong Innings in Series Opening Win over Tampa - Dunedin Blue Jays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Stone Crabs Stories
- Tampa Bay Rays End Affiliation With Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Minor League Baseball Cancels 2020 Season
- Jeff Smith Returns to Lead Stone Crabs Coaching Staff in 2020
- Stone Crabs to Participate in Minor League Baseball's 2020 Copa de la Diversion
- Stone Crabs Complete Best Season in Franchise History