Guance, Matson Stifle Suns as 'Birds Roll
SALISBURY, MD - The Delmarva Shorebirds busted a tight game open late as they sailed by the Hagerstown Suns for a 6-1 victory on Saturday night at Arthur W. Perdue Stadium.
With the win, the Shorebirds' Magic Number to clinch the SAL Northern Division in the first half drops down to two. Second-place Greensboro won 4-0 at Lakewood to keep pace in the standings, while third-place Hickory also stands with an elmination number of two after a rainout against Columbia.
Hector Guance (3-2) spun a gem for the Shorebirds (46-15) to earn the win. Guance worked six innings of one-run baseball, allowing four hits, one walk, and striking out two. It's the second straight Quality Start for Guance, who over his past 12 innings has allowed just four runs, striking out 10 and walking just two.
Francys Peguero (2-5) took the loss for the Suns (27-35), his third straight tough-luck decision against the Shorebirds. Peguero went six innings, allowing two runs on nine hits to earn his fifth Quality Start. Zach Matson was dominant out of the bullpen to earn his fourth save of the year for Delmarva, tossing three scoreless innings and striking out six.
Hagerstown opened the scoring for a third straight game when, in the second inning, Kyle Marinconz blasted a solo homer over the wall in right, putting the Suns ahead 1-0.
Delmarva responded immediately in the bottom of the second. Cadyn Grenier laced a triple to open the frame and came home to tie the game on a Seamus Curran RBI base knock. Two batters later, Ryne Ogren swatted a double to right center field, pushing Curran to third. Daniel Fajardo then bounced a grounder to short, scoring Curran and putting the Shorebirds up 2-1.
After several missed scoring chances, the Shorebirds created some breathing room in the seventh. Robbie Thorburn legged out a one-out infield single to start the rally. After Adam Hall and Jean Carlos Encarnacion were both hit by pitches, Doran Turchin got plunked himself to force home Thorburn and put the Shorebirds up 3-1. After a strikeout, Curran worked a bases loaded walk to force in another. Nick Horvath capped off the frame by smashing a two-run double to right, and giving the game its final tally of 6-1.
Grenier spearheaded the Delmarva attack, collecting his fourth three-hit game of the season by finishing 3-for-4 with a triple and run scored. Ogren and Encarnacion each collected two hits, including a double. Horvath drove home two runs, going 1-for-4, while Doran Turchin went 1-for-3 with a double, run, and RBI.
Marinconz provided all the offense for Hagerstown as he collected three of his squad's six hits, finishing 3-for-4 with a solo homer and stolen base.
The Shorebirds wrap up their series with Suns on Sunday afternoon. Delmarva will send Ryan Wilson (1-1, 7.11) to the mound while Hagerstown goes with Ryan Tapani (2-4, 4.42). First pitch is set for 2:05 p.m. with gates opening at 1:00. The Shorebirds will become Los Gallos de Delmarva for the game as part of MiLB La Copa de la Diversion. Sunday afternoon also features a free 45 minute pregame on-field yoga session running from 12:00 noon until 1:00, presented by Olympia Fitness. The first 1,000 fans through the gates 12 and under will receive a Shorebirds Superhero cape. Sunday at Perdue Stadium is also Perdue Strike Out Hunger Sunday and a Kid's Club Game presented by Maryland EXCELS. Kids will also get to run the bases postgame presented by Chili's. Pregame coverage on Fox Sports 960 AM and the MiLB First Pitch App begins at 1:50 with Will DeBoer and Sam Jellinek on the call.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 8, 2019
- Braves offense stalls again in defeat - Rome Braves
- Keuchel Slated to Start in Rome Monday - Rome Braves
- Guance, Matson Stifle Suns as 'Birds Roll - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Los Perros Santos Score Early, Pile on Late to Take Game Three - Charleston RiverDogs
- McConnell's Multi-Hit Effort Not Enough in 8-2 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Los Perros Santos Blank Tourists in One-Sided Affair - Asheville Tourists
- June 8th Doubleheader Postponed, Doubleheader Scheduled for Sunday - Augusta GreenJackets
- Saturday's Games Washed Out - Hickory Crawdads
- Rain Wreaks Havoc Again, Interrupts Columbia's Doubleheader vs. Hickory - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 8 Doubleheader at Hickory (Games 60 & 61) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (June 8) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Delmarva Shorebirds Stories
- Shorebirds Announce Fly Together Virtual 5K with All Proceeds Going to Operation We Care
- Start of Shorebirds' 2020 Season Delayed
- Single-Game Tickets Available for All 2020 Shorebirds Home Games
- Shorebirds to Host Open House on Monday, March 30
- Scrapple Night, Fireworks, Bobblehead, and More Highlight Single-Game Ticket Release for Homestand #12