Goldeyes Power Past T-Bones to Even Series
KANSAS CITY, KS - The Winnipeg Goldeyes (32-27) beat the Kansas City T-Bones 13-2 at T-Bones Stadium on Saturday night.
The Goldeyes jumped out to a 6-0 lead in the top of the first. Tyler Hill led off the game with a double to left-centre and took third when Wes Darvill beat out an infield single. After Darvill stole second, Kyle Martin hit a two-run, ground-rule double to right-centre. Willy Garcia singled through the left side, and the Goldeyes made it 5-0 on a three-run home run to right-centre from Dominic Ficociello. Reggie Abercrombie followed with a solo homer to left-centre, and scored his 529th American Association run, tying him with David Espinosa for the league's all-time record.
In the top of the second, James Harris doubled to right-centre with one out, extending his hitting streak to nine games. Martin followed with an RBI double down the right field line.
The Goldeyes opened a 9-0 lead in the top of the fifth on a solo homer to right-centre from Martin, and a solo shot to left-centre from Ficociello. It was Ficociello's third career multi-home run game. Ficociello has hit safely in eight consecutive games.
Hill reached on an error leading off the sixth and went to second when Darvill lined a single to right. Three batters later, Willy Garcia plated both runners with a two-out, bloop single to centre.
Alex Perez singled up the middle with one out in the seventh and took third when Kevin Garcia doubled into the left field corner. Hill fought off a double down the right field line that scored Perez and Garcia to make it 13-0.
The T-Bones scored their lone runs on a two-run single from Danny Mars in the bottom of the seventh.
Mitchell Lambson (7-2) started for the Goldeyes on three days of rest and picked up the win. Lambson allowed two earned runs on 10 hits in seven innings. Lambson walked none, struck out five, and was pitching on his 29th birthday. It was also Lambson's 50th career victory.
Kenny Koplove (2-3) started for the T-Bones (30-28) and took the loss, allowing 11 runs, nine earned, on 15 hits in six innings. Koplove walked one and struck out three.
Tyler Garkow finished the game with two scoreless innings in relief of Lambson. All nine of Winnipeg's starters had at least one hit and one run scored.
The rubber match of the three-game series is Sunday afternoon at 1:05 p.m. The Goldeyes have not yet announced their starting pitcher. The T-Bones go with right-hander Jon Perrin (2-0, 3.77). All the action can be heard locally on 93.7 FM CJNU and worldwide at www.cjnu.ca
The Goldeyes return home on Wednesday, July 24th when they host the Texas AirHogs at Shaw Park. Advance tickets are on sale now by visiting www.goldeyes.com/tickets or by visiting the box office at Shaw Park.
For information on 2019 season tickets, 10-game mini packs, and group tickets, call the Goldeyes' office at (204) 982-BASE, or visit the Goldeyes' official website at www.goldeyes.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 20, 2019
- 'Dogs Walked off in Grand Prairie - Lincoln Saltdogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- T-Bones Blown out by Goldeyes - Kansas City T-Bones
- Goldeyes Power Past T-Bones to Even Series - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Samson and Bullpen Lead X's to Win - Sioux City Explorers
- RaMagnificent Gillies Spurs 'Roaders - Cleburne Railroaders
- Medina Tosses a Gem as Saints Take over First Place with 4-3 Win over RedHawks - St. Paul Saints
- Dogs Sweep Doubleheader Behind Red-Hot Offense, Torrez Gem - Chicago Dogs
- Gary Swept by Chicago in Two-Game Set on Sandlot Night - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Sanchez Named to All-Star Team - Cleburne Railroaders
- Goldeyes Add Former Yankees Farmhand - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Cleburne Railroads Milkmen in Series Opener - Milwaukee Milkmen
- X's Sweep Doubleheader from Canaries - Sioux City Explorers
- T-Bones Outlast Goldeyes in 14 Inning Midnight Special - Kansas City T-Bones
- RedHawks Drop Extra Inning Duel to Saints - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- T-Bones Edge Goldeyes in Extras - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Pointstreak League Communication Message - AA
- The Rise of Troy, Alexander Gets First Pro Hit, All Three RBI in 3-2, 12 Inning Victory over RedHawks - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.