Goldeyes Fall to Canaries in 10
WINNIPEG, MB - The Winnipeg Goldeyes lost 6-5 in 10 innings to the Sioux Falls Canaries at Shaw Park on Saturday evening.
Chris Jacobs hit a two-out, bloop single to right field in the top of the 10th inning that scored Jabari Henry from second base with the go-ahead run. Canaries' reliever James Jones worked around a pair of singles in the bottom of the inning to record his second save of the year.
The Goldeyes took a 1-0 lead in the first when Reynaldo Rodriguez plated Andrew Sohn on a fielder's choice with runners on the corners.
In the top of the third, Henry drew an 11-pitch walk with the bases loaded that forced home Aaron Gretz with the tying run. Chris Grayson followed with a three-run double to right field that put the Canaries in front 4-1.
Tyler Wolfe led off the top of the fourth with a solo home run to left that made it 5-1 Sioux Falls.
Goldeyes' starter Edwin Carl took a no-decision, allowing five earned runs on seven hits over four innings. Carl walked one and struck out four.
The Goldeyes began chipping away at the 5-1 deficit in the bottom of the fourth. With the bases loaded and no outs, Kevin Garcia drove in Reggie Abercrombie with a line drive single to right-centre. Canaries' starter Miles Nordgren escaped further trouble, allowing just the one run in the fourth.
Grant Heyman lined a solo home run to right with one out in the fifth that pulled the Goldeyes within 5-3.
Nordgren took a no-decision, allowing three earned runs on nine hits in five and one-third innings. Nordgren walked one and struck out three.
Sohn drew a one-out walk in the bottom of the seventh and stole second base. With two outs in the inning, Rodriguez launched a double to left-centre that scored Sohn with the Goldeyes' fourth run.
In the bottom of the eighth, Sohn was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded and two outs to usher in Victor Cruzado with the tying run.
The Goldeyes' bullpen combined for six innings pitched and allowed just one earned run. Brandon Bingel worked shutout baseball over the fifth and sixth, while Zach Hartman pitched a perfect seventh. Kenny Mathews and Cameron McVey combined on a perfect eighth before McVey retired the side in order himself in the ninth. From the fifth inning into the 10th, Goldeyes' relievers retired 15 straight batters.
Jack Charleston (0-1) took the loss in relief, allowing one earned run in the top of the 10th.
Ryan Fritze (1-0) picked up the win in relief for the Canaries.
Garcia has hit safely in eight consecutive games to begin the season.
The series concludes Sunday afternoon at 1:05 p.m. Shane Dawson (1-0, 2.70) takes on left-hander James Patterson (0-1, 12.60). Tickets for all Goldeyes' home games are on sale now by calling 1-855-GOLDEYE, visiting www.ticketmaster.ca/Goldeyes, or visiting any Ticketmaster location, including the box office at Shaw Park.
For information regarding Winnipeg Goldeyes' season tickets, 10-game mini packs, and group outings, call the Goldeyes' office at (204) 982-BASE, or visit the Goldeyes' official website at www.goldeyes.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 26, 2018
- Dogs Ninth Inning Rally Falls Short, Kansas City Takes Series - Chicago Dogs
- Thomas Goes Deep But AirHogs Fall Again in Wichita - Texas AirHogs
- Canaries Top Goldeyes in Extra-Inning Thriller - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Sioux City Wins Fifth Straight - Sioux City Explorers
- Game Recaps - AA
- Bats Explode for 18 Hits as Wichita Rolls to Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Rout Saints, 16-7, in Tagert's 700th Win with Gary - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Six-Game Win Streak Comes to Screeching Halt with 16-7 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Ahart's Two-Homer Game Leads RedHawks Past Saltdogs - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Railroaders Strand Nine in 7-1 Loss - Cleburne Railroaders
- Goldeyes Fall to Canaries in 10 - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RedHawks Pound 17 Hits to Clinch Series over Saltdogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Andy DeJesus Re-Signed by RailCats - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Wingnuts Bring Back Wilson, Add True Rookie Osburn - Wichita Wingnuts
- Railroaders Fall Short in Series Opener - Cleburne Railroaders
- De La Cruz's Four Hit Night Leads RedHawks to Home Opener Win - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Ninth Inning Rally Gives Kansas City Third Straight "W" - Kansas City T-Bones
- De La Cruz's Four Hits End Saltdogs Win Streak - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Birds Drop Game to Goldeyes in First Road Test - Sioux Falls Canaries
- AirHogs Fall in Friday Wichita Opener 4-1 - Texas AirHogs
- Game Recaps - AA
- Devastating Ninth Inning Rally Downs Dogs in Sold out Home Opener - Chicago Dogs
- X's Win Home Opener over Railroaders - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.