Railroaders Strand Nine in 7-1 Loss
CLEBURNE, Texas - Angelo Gumbs went 3-for-4 with an RBI, but the Railroaders left nine men on in a 7-1 loss to the Sioux City Explorers at Mercy Field on Saturday night.
Gumbs drove in Cleburne's only run of the game in the fourth after Levi Scott doubled and came around to score, cutting the deficit to 3-1.
The Explorers jumped out to an early lead in the second inning after Michael Lang hit a two-out pop up with the bases loaded that ultimately fell between four Railroaders and scored a pair of runs.
The game stayed 3-1 through the middle innings before the Explorers posted a four-spot on the Cleburne bullpen in the eighth inning. Will Mathis loaded the bases with nobody out before Luis Durango singled in his first run of the night. After a bases-loaded walk and a sacrifice fly, Tyler Wilson's wild pitch scored another run.
Gumbs finished with only the second three-hit night from a Railroader in 2018, with all three being singles. Two of Cleburne's 10 hits were doubles, while all 11 of the Explorers hits were singles.
RHP Roman Gomez got his first start as a Railroader and gave up three runs over 4.2 innings with nine hits allowed, four walks and one strikeout. Will Mathis allowed three runs over 2.1 innings, and the run Tyler Wilson yielded was unearned.
Cleburne did not walk in the game and struck out a combined 10 times, while Sioux City won for the eighth time in the first nine games for only the second time since 2005.
Game 3 of the series is set for Sunday night. First pitch time is 6:05 and RHP Dylan Mouzakes will make his second start of 2018. Luis Mateo will throw for the Explorers.
The Railroaders return home Saturday, June 1 for a three-game series with the St. Paul Saints. Tickets are always available at www.railroaderbaseball.com or by calling (817) 945-8705.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 26, 2018
- Dogs Ninth Inning Rally Falls Short, Kansas City Takes Series - Chicago Dogs
- Thomas Goes Deep But AirHogs Fall Again in Wichita - Texas AirHogs
- Canaries Top Goldeyes in Extra-Inning Thriller - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Sioux City Wins Fifth Straight - Sioux City Explorers
- Game Recaps - AA
- Bats Explode for 18 Hits as Wichita Rolls to Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Rout Saints, 16-7, in Tagert's 700th Win with Gary - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Six-Game Win Streak Comes to Screeching Halt with 16-7 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Ahart's Two-Homer Game Leads RedHawks Past Saltdogs - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Railroaders Strand Nine in 7-1 Loss - Cleburne Railroaders
- Goldeyes Fall to Canaries in 10 - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RedHawks Pound 17 Hits to Clinch Series over Saltdogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Andy DeJesus Re-Signed by RailCats - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Wingnuts Bring Back Wilson, Add True Rookie Osburn - Wichita Wingnuts
- Railroaders Fall Short in Series Opener - Cleburne Railroaders
- De La Cruz's Four Hit Night Leads RedHawks to Home Opener Win - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Ninth Inning Rally Gives Kansas City Third Straight "W" - Kansas City T-Bones
- De La Cruz's Four Hits End Saltdogs Win Streak - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Birds Drop Game to Goldeyes in First Road Test - Sioux Falls Canaries
- AirHogs Fall in Friday Wichita Opener 4-1 - Texas AirHogs
- Game Recaps - AA
- Devastating Ninth Inning Rally Downs Dogs in Sold out Home Opener - Chicago Dogs
- X's Win Home Opener over Railroaders - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.