Birds Drop Game to Goldeyes in First Road Test
It was all Winnipeg at Shaw Park on Friday night. The Goldeyes beat the Canaries 13-1 in their home opener, dropping the Birds' record to 2-5.
The Goldeyes plated seven runs in the second inning off Birds starter Dylan Thompson to take firm control of the game. Remarkably, Winnipeg did not record an extra-base hit in the inning, scoring all seven runs off of singles and walks.
At one point in the inning, the Goldeyes connected on four straight bases-loaded singles, scoring their first four runs. Reggie Abercrombie followed that up with a two-run single, and a bases-loaded walk by Kevin Garcia later in the frame made it 7-0.
The Birds responded in the third with their only run of the game, a solo home run by catcher Maxx Garrett. Garrett was making his first start for the Birds.
Two three-run homers accounted for the rest of Winnipeg's output. David Bergin hit the first in the fourth, and Abercrombie hit another in the fifth.
Abercrombie, a former Canary, finished the game 3-for-5 with two runs scored and five RBI.
Both Winnipeg homers came off Canary starter Dylan Thompson. Thompson was pulled in the sixth after giving up 13 runs on 13 hits in 4.2 innings of work. He took the loss.
Kevin McGovern earned the win for Winnipeg with eight innings of one-run ball. He allowed four hits and two walks while striking out three.
Miles Nordgren and infielder Tyler Wolfe threw the final 3.1 innings without allowing a run.
The Birds and Goldeyes meet again tomorrow for game two of their series. Miles Nordgren is set to toe the rubber for the Birds at 6 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 26, 2018
- Dogs Ninth Inning Rally Falls Short, Kansas City Takes Series - Chicago Dogs
- Thomas Goes Deep But AirHogs Fall Again in Wichita - Texas AirHogs
- Canaries Top Goldeyes in Extra-Inning Thriller - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Sioux City Wins Fifth Straight - Sioux City Explorers
- Game Recaps - AA
- Bats Explode for 18 Hits as Wichita Rolls to Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Rout Saints, 16-7, in Tagert's 700th Win with Gary - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Six-Game Win Streak Comes to Screeching Halt with 16-7 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Ahart's Two-Homer Game Leads RedHawks Past Saltdogs - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Railroaders Strand Nine in 7-1 Loss - Cleburne Railroaders
- Goldeyes Fall to Canaries in 10 - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RedHawks Pound 17 Hits to Clinch Series over Saltdogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Andy DeJesus Re-Signed by RailCats - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Wingnuts Bring Back Wilson, Add True Rookie Osburn - Wichita Wingnuts
- Railroaders Fall Short in Series Opener - Cleburne Railroaders
- De La Cruz's Four Hit Night Leads RedHawks to Home Opener Win - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Ninth Inning Rally Gives Kansas City Third Straight "W" - Kansas City T-Bones
- De La Cruz's Four Hits End Saltdogs Win Streak - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Birds Drop Game to Goldeyes in First Road Test - Sioux Falls Canaries
- AirHogs Fall in Friday Wichita Opener 4-1 - Texas AirHogs
- Game Recaps - AA
- Devastating Ninth Inning Rally Downs Dogs in Sold out Home Opener - Chicago Dogs
- X's Win Home Opener over Railroaders - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sioux Falls Canaries Stories
- Folman's Strong Outing Helps Birds Even Series
- Garrett's Big Night Not Enough, Birds Lose to Texas
- Canaries Fall to Wingnuts in Nail-Biter, Head Home Friday
- Big Fifth Inning the Difference in Canaries Loss to Wingnuts
- Missed Opportunities the Difference in Canaries Loss to Wingnuts