May 26, 2018 - American Association (AA) News Release
Kansas City 8, Chicago 4
The Kansas City T-Bones entered the final frame trailing 4-2 but rallied for six runs to claim an 8-4 win against the Chicago Dogs.
In the top of the ninth, two big swings made the difference for the visitors. SS Angel Rosa gave the T-Bones the lead with a three-run home run with one out and later in the inning DH Zach Walters hit a three-run shot of his own, with two outs, to doubled up the Dogs 8-4. In the bottom of the inning. Reliever Carlos Diaz came on to pitch for Kansas City and despite giving up a walk, finished the game to finalize the win.
Walters finished the game 2-for-4 with two home runs for the T-Bones; his first was a solo shot in the fifth. 2B Dylan Ticealso homered for the T-Bones, leaving the yard in the first. For Chicago, LF/SS Michael Baca had a pair of RBIs.
Sioux City 3, Cleburne 2
The Sioux City Explorers broke a 2-2 tie late to improve to 7-1 on the young season with a 3-2 win against the Cleburne Railroaders.
Sioux City took the lead in the bottom of the first inning as SS Nate Samson doubled home RF Michael Lang and CF Jay Austin scored on a sacrifice fly from Jay Baum in back-to-back at-bats. But the Railroaders tied things up in the fifth with a sacrifice fly from LF Axel Johnson and an RBI single from CF K.C. Huth (2-for-4).
The eighth inning proved to be the different as 2B Jay Baum, who had two RBIs in the game, provided the game-winning RBI. His two-out single allowed Austin to score the game-winning run.
Fargo-Moorhead 5, Lincoln 3
The Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks scored two unanswered runs in the final three innings to edge in front of the Lincoln Saltdogs 5-3.
The contest was tied 3-3 after six complete innings but C Charlie Valerio broke that tie with an RBI double immediately after the Saltdogs issued an intentional walk to 3B Tommy Mendonca (1-for-2). DH Keury De La Cruz (4-for-5, 3 RBIs) added an insurance run in the eighth with a single that scored 2B Maikol Gonzalez.
De La Cruz doubled his season RBI total to six with three in the game. SS L Pina went 2-for-4 with two doubles. For Lincoln, CF Chad Hinshaw went 3-for-4 with a triple and 1B Nathaniel Maggio added a solo home run.
St. Paul 5, Gary SouthShore 0
The St. Paul Saints extended the American Association's longest winning streak to six games on Friday night with a 5-0 win against the Gary SouthShore RailCats.
Starting pitcher Eddie Medina tossed seven scoreless innings for the Saints to pick up his first win of the season. He allowed six hits and struck out four batters. Offensively, the Saints backed him up right from the start, scoring the game's first run in the bottom of the first inning. 1B Jayce Boyd (2-for-4) singled home RF Max Murphy (2-for-4) to take the lead and 3B Dante Bichette Jr. added to the lead in the fourth with a singled that plated two more runs.
DH Brady Shoemaker added an RBI in the fifth that scored Murphy after he tripled in the leadoff spot and 2B Josh Allenscored the final run of the night in the sixth when LF Richard Prigatano singled. For the RailCats, 1B Alex Crosby and 2B Cole Fabio each had two hits.
Wichita 4, Texas 1
The Wichita Wingnuts, led by starting pitcher Jordan Cooper, held the Texas AirHogs to just three hits on the way to a 4-1 win.
Cooper went seven strong innings, allowing just one run - an RBI single from DH Greg Golson in the third inning - on three hits while striking out four batters. Reliever Daniel Tillman sealed the deal in the ninth by striking out all three batters he faced to record his first save of 2018. Offensively, CF Logan Watkins scored in the bottom of the first on a sac fly from 3B Tony Thomas and 2B Logan Trowbridge (2-for-4) scored later in the inning when RF Zach Nehrir (2-for-3) singled.
SS Leo Vargas added a sac fly in the fourth and 1B Abel Nieves (2-for-4) belted a solo shot, his first of the season, in the eighth.
Winnipeg 13, Sioux Falls 1
The Winnipeg Goldeyes plated seven runs in the second inning to take control of the game and went on to post a 13-1 win against the Sioux Falls Canaries.
The Goldeyes racked up 16 hits in the game from seven different batters. Seven of those hits came in the second inning when Winnipeg sent 13 batters to the dish, drew three walks, one hit by pitch and seven singles on the way to posting seven runs. On the night, 1B Reynaldo Rodriguez had a team-high four hits in five at-bats, scored three times and added an RBI. CF Reggie Abercrombie went 3-for-5 with five RBIs including a three-run home run in the fifth inning. DH David Bergin (2-for-3) hit a three-run shot of his own in the fourth.
On the mound, starting pitcher Kevin McGovern earned the win for working eight innings and allowing one run - a solo home run by C Maxx Garrett - on four hits.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 26, 2018
- Dogs Ninth Inning Rally Falls Short, Kansas City Takes Series - Chicago Dogs
- Thomas Goes Deep But AirHogs Fall Again in Wichita - Texas AirHogs
- Canaries Top Goldeyes in Extra-Inning Thriller - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Sioux City Wins Fifth Straight - Sioux City Explorers
- Game Recaps - AA
- Bats Explode for 18 Hits as Wichita Rolls to Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- RailCats Rout Saints, 16-7, in Tagert's 700th Win with Gary - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Saints Six-Game Win Streak Comes to Screeching Halt with 16-7 Loss to RailCats - St. Paul Saints
- Ahart's Two-Homer Game Leads RedHawks Past Saltdogs - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Railroaders Strand Nine in 7-1 Loss - Cleburne Railroaders
- Goldeyes Fall to Canaries in 10 - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RedHawks Pound 17 Hits to Clinch Series over Saltdogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Andy DeJesus Re-Signed by RailCats - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Wingnuts Bring Back Wilson, Add True Rookie Osburn - Wichita Wingnuts
- Railroaders Fall Short in Series Opener - Cleburne Railroaders
- De La Cruz's Four Hit Night Leads RedHawks to Home Opener Win - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Ninth Inning Rally Gives Kansas City Third Straight "W" - Kansas City T-Bones
- De La Cruz's Four Hits End Saltdogs Win Streak - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Birds Drop Game to Goldeyes in First Road Test - Sioux Falls Canaries
- AirHogs Fall in Friday Wichita Opener 4-1 - Texas AirHogs
- Game Recaps - AA
- Devastating Ninth Inning Rally Downs Dogs in Sold out Home Opener - Chicago Dogs
- X's Win Home Opener over Railroaders - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.