Gladiators Fall 4-1 to the Swamp Rabbits in Greenville
Unable to stop the home team's push in the third period, Atlanta allowed three goals in the final frame as the Gladiators fell to the Greenville Swamp Rabbits by a score of 4-1 at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena on Thursday night.
Greenville would open the game's scoring 12:29 into the first period. Evan Jasper received a pass from Ahti Oksanen and skated into the Gladiators zone on a breakaway. The former Sacred Heart University captain then did a quick forehand/backhand move and put a shot past Atlanta goalie, Matt Ginn, for his first career goal.
Atlanta would then bring the game back even just :50 seconds of playing time later. Mark Naclerio corralled the puck in the right circle and skated towards the net, where he completed a spin-o-rama move around the home goaltender, Jeff Malcolm, and tucked the puck into the open frame for his eight goal of the season. Ben Marshall tallied the only assist on the goal that knotted the game at 1-1.
After neither team was able to score in the middle frame, the Swamp Rabbits regained their lead 6:05 into the third period. Matt Prapavessis controlled the puck at the point and found Tommy Thompson open near the net. The rookie was then denied on an opportunity by Ginn, however, the rebound was left in front where Tristian King took the puck and netted his 12th goal of the year on the backhand to put Greenville ahead 2-1.
The home team then struck at the 12:01 mark of the third to double their lead, and make the score 3-1. Garrett Noonan brought the puck into the Greenville offensive zone on a three-on-two and set-up a pass directly to the blade of King, who wristed a shot past Ginn for his second goal of the game.
Brandon Alderson added an empty-net goal for the Swamp Rabbits with :03.5 seconds remaining to seal the 4-1 victory. The loss dropped Atlanta to 24-34-6-2 on the year, and kept the Gladiators in sixth in the South Division with 56 points. Meanwhile, Greenville improved their record to 38-25-4-1 with the win on home ice and remained in second in the division with 81 points.
The Gladiators continue their six-game road trip tomorrow night for the second of three straight at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena in Greenville, SC. Puck drop for the rematch against the Swamp Rabbits is set for 7:00 PM.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 30, 2017
- Gladiators Fall 4-1 to the Swamp Rabbits in Greenville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Fan Appreciation Night This Saturday - Adirondack Thunder
- Season Ticket Holder Newsletter, March 30th - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - March 30 - ECHL
- Playoff Tickets To Go On Sale Wednesday, April 5 - Adirondack Thunder
- Americans Keep Rolling, Face Missouri Again Tonight - Allen Americans
- Ryan Segalla Returns to the Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Mallards Sign Defenseman Leibinger; Motte Signs PTO with Iowa - Quad City Mallards
- Austin Hervey Joins Fuel on ATO - Indy Fuel
- Moore Hat Trick Leads Americans over Missouri - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Clinch 20th Consecutive Playoff Berth, Defeat Eagles - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads Take 2-1 Victory in Goaltending Duel in Idaho - Colorado Eagles
- Komets Streak Past Aces 5-2 Wednesday - Alaska Aces
- Utah Takes Game One - Rapid City Rush
- Wings Swamped by Everblades in Estero - Kalamazoo Wings
- Henry Breaks Beast Defenseman Goal-Scoring Record in Win Over Cyclones - Brampton Beast
- Thunder Announces Several Roster Moves - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers Sign Defenseman CJ Garcia - Wheeling Nailers
- Americans Host Missouri Tonight and Thursday - Allen Americans
- Wings Sign Former Michigan Tech Standout Tyler Heinonen - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Announces 25th Anniversary Alumni Game Roster - Wichita Thunder
- Naclerio Returns to Atlanta from AHL - Atlanta Gladiators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta Gladiators Stories
- Jerry James Promoted to Team President
- Glads Rally for Postseason Falls Just Short
- Predators Prospect Inks Deal with Atlanta
- South Carolina Survives with Home Victory Setting up Winner-Take-All Game Tomorrow
- Bonar Steals Crucial Point for Atlanta with Miraculous Performance in Net