Steelheads Take 2-1 Victory in Goaltending Duel in Idaho
BOISE, ID. - Steelheads goaltender Landon Bow stopped 31 of the 32 shots he faced, as Idaho knocked off the Colorado Eagles 2-1 on Wednesday. Eagles goalie Kent Simpson turned aside 39 of Idaho's 41 shots in the defeat, while Eagles forward Johnny Lazo notched Colorado's lone goal in the contest.
After a scoreless first period that saw both teams go 0-for-2 on the power play, Idaho would notch the game's first goal when defenseman Charlie Dodero fired a centering pass in the low slot that ricocheted off the skate of an Eagles defenseman and into the back of the net. The power-play goal gave Idaho a 1-0 advantage with 7:36 remaining in the second period.
Just minutes later, a bouncing puck in the low slot hopped off the chest of Steelheads forward Will Merchant and past Simpson to extend the Idaho edge to 2-0 at the 15:05 mark of the middle frame.
Colorado would strike back when Lazo stuffed home a rebound in the crease with 4:11 left in the second period. The goal was Lazo's fourth of the season and sliced the Idaho lead to 2-1.
The Eagles would try to stage a comeback in the third period, throwing 11 shots on net and pulling goaltender Kent Simpson late in the contest in favor of the extra attacker. The effort would fail to produce a goal and the Steelheads would hold on for the 2-1 victory.
Colorado finished the night going 0-for-3 on the power play, while Idaho scored on one of its four opportunities on the man-advantage.
The Eagles will be back in action when they take on the Idaho Steelheads on Friday, March 31st at 7:010pm MT at CenturyLink Arena in Boise, Idaho.
Tickets for the 2017 Kelly Cup Playoffs are on sale now and can be purchased by calling the Eagles ticket office at 970-686-SHOT (7468) or purchase online at www.ColoradoEagles.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 30, 2017
- Gladiators Fall 4-1 to the Swamp Rabbits in Greenville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Fan Appreciation Night This Saturday - Adirondack Thunder
- Season Ticket Holder Newsletter, March 30th - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - March 30 - ECHL
- Playoff Tickets To Go On Sale Wednesday, April 5 - Adirondack Thunder
- Americans Keep Rolling, Face Missouri Again Tonight - Allen Americans
- Ryan Segalla Returns to the Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Mallards Sign Defenseman Leibinger; Motte Signs PTO with Iowa - Quad City Mallards
- Austin Hervey Joins Fuel on ATO - Indy Fuel
- Moore Hat Trick Leads Americans over Missouri - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Clinch 20th Consecutive Playoff Berth, Defeat Eagles - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads Take 2-1 Victory in Goaltending Duel in Idaho - Colorado Eagles
- Komets Streak Past Aces 5-2 Wednesday - Alaska Aces
- Utah Takes Game One - Rapid City Rush
- Wings Swamped by Everblades in Estero - Kalamazoo Wings
- Henry Breaks Beast Defenseman Goal-Scoring Record in Win Over Cyclones - Brampton Beast
- Thunder Announces Several Roster Moves - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers Sign Defenseman CJ Garcia - Wheeling Nailers
- Americans Host Missouri Tonight and Thursday - Allen Americans
- Wings Sign Former Michigan Tech Standout Tyler Heinonen - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Announces 25th Anniversary Alumni Game Roster - Wichita Thunder
- Naclerio Returns to Atlanta from AHL - Atlanta Gladiators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Werner Leads Eagles to 2-1 OT Win at Ontario
- Colorado Signs Molino to Professional Tryout Agreement
- Dries Recalled by Avalanche, Tynan, McGauley, Wagner Return to Eagles
- Colorado Avalanche Recall Kaut from Eagles
- Ontario Scores Three Unanswered to Upend Eagles, 6-3