Wings Swamped by Everblades in Estero
ESTERO, FL- Peter Schneider extended his point streak to ten games, but the Kalamazoo Wings were toppled by the quick-strike attack of the Florida Everblades during a 6-2 setback on Wednesday at Germain Arena.
Less than two minutes into the first period, the Everblades notched the first tally of the night by getting to the goal and capitalizing on a loose puck. After a long shot from Kyle Pereira was stopped by Joel Martin, the loose puck was jammed in by Brendan O'Donnell, who moved into the ECHL lead for goals with his 37th of the year.
After making some adjustments at the intermission, the Wings looked like a completely different team in the early going of the second period. During a span of four-on-four hockey, Schneider stretched a long feed to Kyle Blaney at the Everblades' blue line. Blaney reeled in the pass and raced to the goal to zip a wrist shot that flew over the outstretched leg of Anthony Peters and in.
Florida bounced right back five minutes later and tallied three unanswered goals over the span of 6:28 of game time. Brant Harris notched his 28th of the season, and a minute later, John McCarron's spinning wrist shot found the back of the goal and quickly established a two-goal advantage for the home team.
Minutes after leaping ahead by a pair, the Everblades capitalized on their fifth power play try of the game and opened up a three-goal edge. Curt Gogol one-timed a high-slot pass from Mike Ferrantino and sent Florida into the second intermission with a hefty lead.
Looking to mount a comeback in the third period, Kalamazoo got on the board in the first seven minutes of the final stanza. A pass from Josh Pitt slid to the line, where Michael Trebish used the space to step into a heavy slap shot that flew into the top corner of the goal, clawing the Wings to within a 4-2 margin.
With Kalamazoo looking to close in, the Everblades created some more separation in the ensuing minutes of the third period. Harris earned his second of the night after a quick-strike play in front of Martin's net, and Matt Berry closed out the scoring and capped off a 6-2 victory for Florida with his 22nd of the year at the 13:38 mark of the third period.
Next: Kalamazoo @ Florida Everblades- Friday, March 31, 7:30 p.m., Germain Arena.
Broadcast information: Friday's game will air on AM 1660 the Fan in Kalamazoo or online at www.1660thefan.com/listen-live.
Notes: The loss snapped Kalamazoo's four-game winning streak... Schneider's point streak improved to ten games...Trebish's goal was his first since October 15... Forward Tyler Heinonen made his debut after being signed from Michigan Tech University earlier in the day... The Wings went 0/3 on the power play and 4/5 on the penalty kill.
Single-game tickets are on sale! Tickets start as low as $10 and can be purchased at www.kwings.com/tickets/schedule or at the Wings Event Center box office.
Wings Event Center, owned and operated by Greenleaf Hospitality Group, is home to the minor league hockey team Kalamazoo Wings and a full entertainment venue offering concerts, sporting events, family shows and trade shows. Built in 1974, Wings Event Center values partnerships with the community to bring events and attractions that enrich the lives of residents in the Kalamazoo area.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 30, 2017
- Gladiators Fall 4-1 to the Swamp Rabbits in Greenville - Atlanta Gladiators
- Fan Appreciation Night This Saturday - Adirondack Thunder
- Season Ticket Holder Newsletter, March 30th - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - March 30 - ECHL
- Playoff Tickets To Go On Sale Wednesday, April 5 - Adirondack Thunder
- Americans Keep Rolling, Face Missouri Again Tonight - Allen Americans
- Ryan Segalla Returns to the Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Mallards Sign Defenseman Leibinger; Motte Signs PTO with Iowa - Quad City Mallards
- Austin Hervey Joins Fuel on ATO - Indy Fuel
- Moore Hat Trick Leads Americans over Missouri - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Clinch 20th Consecutive Playoff Berth, Defeat Eagles - Idaho Steelheads
- Steelheads Take 2-1 Victory in Goaltending Duel in Idaho - Colorado Eagles
- Komets Streak Past Aces 5-2 Wednesday - Alaska Aces
- Utah Takes Game One - Rapid City Rush
- Wings Swamped by Everblades in Estero - Kalamazoo Wings
- Henry Breaks Beast Defenseman Goal-Scoring Record in Win Over Cyclones - Brampton Beast
- Thunder Announces Several Roster Moves - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers Sign Defenseman CJ Garcia - Wheeling Nailers
- Americans Host Missouri Tonight and Thursday - Allen Americans
- Wings Sign Former Michigan Tech Standout Tyler Heinonen - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Announces 25th Anniversary Alumni Game Roster - Wichita Thunder
- Naclerio Returns to Atlanta from AHL - Atlanta Gladiators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.