Giants Weekly Recap & Schedule
The Vancouver Giants have concluded the regular season on a four-game winning streak as they prepare to open the 2008 Western Hockey League Playoffs next weekend against the Chilliwack Bruins.
Last Friday, the Giants posted a 4-2 win at home against the Prince George Cougars. Jonathon Blum and Michal Repik each scored a pair of goals on a night which saw the Giants out-shoot the Cougars 44-18.
On Saturday, the Giants collected a 3-1 road win over the Kamloops Blazers. The Giants out-shot the Blazers 42-17 in what was the last road game of the year for the Giants. Vancouver's overall record this season on the road was 22-9-0-5.
Sunday evening, the Giants capped off the season with a 5-3 win over the Bruins in front of 12,357 fans at the Pacific Coliseum. Evander Kane scored a pair of goals, Casey Pierro-Zabotel had a goal and three assists, while Blum had a goal and an assist. That makes Blum the Giants franchise record holder for goals (18) and points (63) in a season. Vancouver out-shot Chilliwack 36-14, including by a third period margin of 20-1!
The Giants finish off the season with a franchise-best record of 49-15-2-6. Vancouver also establishes a club record for points in a season (106). This week they prepare to open defence of their Memorial Cup title with a 1st round playoff match-up against the Bruins. This season the Giants went 8-0-1-1 against Chilliwack, out-scoring the opposition 38-15. Game 1 will take place Friday March 21 at the Pacific Coliseum (7:30pm). Game 2 will go Saturday March 22 in Vancouver (7:00pm).
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from March 17, 2008
- Brandon-Lethbridge series set - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Hurricanes Announce Finalized Playoff Dates - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Chilliwack Bruins' Mark Santorelli Captures Bob Clarke Trophy As WHL's Top Scorer - WHL
- Playoff Fan Bus Heads To Regina - Swift Current Broncos
- Bruins Weekly - Chilliwack Bruins
- T-Birds Playoff Dates Set - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Hitmen Game Notes: March 21 Vs. Moose Jaw Warriors - Calgary Hitmen
- Pats Weekly - Regina Pats
- Bruin's Pighin Named Boston Pizza WHL Player of the Week - WHL
- Broncos Playoff Schedule - Swift Current Broncos
- Quarter Final Action Dates - Kootenay Ice
- WHL Announces Playoff Dates - WHL
- Giants Weekly Recap & Schedule - Vancouver Giants
- Prince Albert Raider 2007-08 Year End Awards - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Giants Stories
- Giants Wrap up Weekend with a 3-1 Loss to the Royals
- Giants Nearly Complete the Comeback in a 6-5 Loss in Everett
- Giants Wrap up Home Stand with a 10-4 Win over Regina
- Ron Toigo to Receive BC Sports Hall of Fame's W.A.C. Bennett Award
- Giants to Wear 1946 Retro White Spot Jerseys on Legends Weekend