Giants Earn a Teddy Bear Toss Victory Sunday at Rogers Arena
Michal Kvasnica of the Vancouver Giants relaxes in a sea of teddy bears
(Vancouver Giants, Credit: Rik Fedyck)
Vancouver, B.C. - Some new faces for the Vancouver Giants (14-13-1-1) had a huge impact during 2019 Chevrolet Teddy Bear Toss. Forward Tyler Preziuso scored twice in his Giants debut (in the third period) to help cement a 4-1 victory over the Tri-City Americans (12-12-2-1). Connor Horning's first goal as a Giant was the game winner, and Michal Kvasnica's first goal as a Giant at 4:04 of the first period served as the 2019 Teddy Bear Goal! Tristen Nielsen, Justin Sourdif and Bowen Byram all recorded multi-assist games for the G-Men. Connor Bouchard had the lone goal in response for Tri-City who were outshot 53-26 by the Giants on Sunday.
VAN - Michal Kvasnica scored the famed Teddy Bear Goal of 2019 for the Vancouver Giants at 4:04. He took a pass from Tristen Nielsen at the Tri-City blueline, skated into the left circle and wired home his shot from the left-wing circle past Beck Warm to make it a 1-0 game.
VAN - Connor Horning then extended the Giants lead at 15:55 off a low shot from the high slot that snuck past Beck Warm's stick and in. Horning's first as a Giant was assisted by Justin Sourdif and Bowen Byram.
Shots: 16-15 Tri-City
Shots: 19-7 Vancouver
TC - 1:07 into the third, Connor Bouchard potted the lone goal of the game for Tri-City in close off a feed from Krystof Hrabik. Bouchard's seventh came just as a Tri-City power play had expired.
VAN - A minute and 45 seconds later the Giants answered when Tyler Preziuso knocked home a Tristen Nielsen rebound past Beck Warm for his 10th goal of the season.
VAN - Preziuso wasn't done. At 6:34 of the third he wired home a shot from the slot on a Giants power play, increasing the Vancouver lead to 4-1. Tristen Nielsen and Bowen Byram drew the helpers on Preziuso's 11th goal.
Shots: 19 - 3 Vancouver
Final Score: Vancouver 4 - Tri-City 1
Final Shots: 53 - 26 Vancouver
David Tendeck: 25/26 saves for Vancouver (8-7)
Beck Warm: 49/53 saves for Tri-City (8-12-1-1)
Tri-City Power Play: 0/2
Vancouver Power Play: 1/2
Tyler Preziuso (VAN - 2 Goals)
Tristen Nielsen (VAN - 3 Assists)
Michal Kvasnica (VAN - Teddy Bear Goal)
Next Giants Game: Saturday, December 14th in Everett, WA against the Silvertips.
The Giants set a new season high for shots on goal Sunday with 53.
The Giants have outshot their opposition in five straight games, and in 20 of their first 29 games altogether.
Thanks to his three-assist effort, Tristen Nielsen has now registered five goals and five assists for 10 points in his past six games.
The Giants improved their record against Tri-City to 2-1 on the season.
Tomorrow Bowen Byram will be heading to Oakville, ON to join Team Canada at their World Junior Selection Camp.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from December 8, 2019
- Giants Earn a Teddy Bear Toss Victory Sunday at Rogers Arena - Vancouver Giants
- Silvertips Double Hitmen 6-3 - Calgary Hitmen
- Blazers' Zary Added to Canada's National Junior Team Sport Chek Selection Camp Roster - WHL
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Sunday, December 8 vs. Everett - Calgary Hitmen
- Game Day Hub: December 8 - Portland Winterhawks
- Ams Lose Back-And-Forth Battle with Spokane - Tri-City Americans
- McIndoe Sends the Bears Flying as Oil Kings Capture a Point against Hitmen - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Wolf, Silvertips Blank Medicine Hat, 5-0 - Everett Silvertips
- Rockets Down Blades in Shootout - Saskatoon Blades
- Franchise Record 8,604 Bears Fly in Sold out Chiefs Victory - Spokane Chiefs
- Royals Battle Past Thunderbirds - Victoria Royals
- Tigers Winning Streak Snapped - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Hofer Has Cougars' Number Again: 0 - Prince George Cougars
- ICE Win 7th Home Game in a Row; Beat Kamloops 5-4 in OT - Winnipeg Ice
- Rebels Misfire in Otherwise Strong Third Period, Fall 3-2 to Pats - Red Deer Rebels
- Royals Defeat T-Birds in Second of Back-To-Back Games in Victoria - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Teddy Bear Toss Heroics in Portland - Portland Winterhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Giants Stories
- Bowen Byram, Michael Dyck Earn Silver at 2021 World Juniors
- Bowen Byram and Dylan Cozens to Both Wear the "C" for Canada
- Bowen Byram Named An Alternate Captain for Team Canada
- Giants Acquire 2001-Born Defenceman Zachary Ashton
- Bowen Byram Named to Canada's World Junior Team