Royals Battle Past Thunderbirds
Victoria, BC - The Victoria Royals earned a 3-1 victory over the Seattle Thunderbirds, in front of an electric crowd on their annual Teddy Bear Toss night, as Brandon Cutler recorded a pair of goals in his 200th career game.
Gamesheet - bit.ly/2rg5mz2.
Game Galleries - bit.ly/2P0b7tD.
Royals - Brandon Cutler 2g-0a (Game Winner), River Fahey 1g-0a, Keanu Derungs 0g-1a, Carson Miller 0g-1a, Tarun Fizer 0g-1a, Will Warm 0g-1a, Jacob Herauf 0g-1a.
Seattle - Henrik Rybinski 1g-0a, Owen Williams 0g-1a, Simon Kubicek 0g-1a.
Royals - Shane Farkas (W) - 60:00 mins, 31 saves on 32 shots.
Seattle - Roddy Ross (L) - 29:43 mins, 18 saves on 21 shots.
Blake Lyda - 28:35 mins, stopped all 11 shots he faced.
Royals - 1/10 = 10.0%.
Seattle - 0/8 = 0.0%.
Mr. Teddy Bear: In tonight's game, Royals' forward River Fahey scored the team's Teddy Bear Toss goal. The goal, which was tallied at the 3:21 mark of the first period, is the fastest in team history as it was 20 seconds quicker than Austin Carroll's goal (3:51 into the first period) in the 2013-14 game. Previously, the title of "Mr. Teddy Bear" had been held by D-Jay Jerome (2018-19), Eric Florchuk (2017-18, 2016-17), Ethan Price (2015-16), Axel Blomqvist (2014-15), Carroll (2013-14, 2012-13) and Zane Jones (2011-12).
Home Sweet Home: Tonight's contest was the Royals' 300th WHL regular season home game. With tonight's win, Victoria now holds an all-time regular season record of 179-98-12-11 at Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre.
Series Recap: The Royals concluded their four-game regular season series with the Seattle Thunderbirds with a record of 2-2-0-0.
Between the Pipes: Royals' goaltender Shane Farkas has now won his last seven games in which he has started. In those contests, Farkas has earned a 1.57 goals against average and a 0.950 save percentage.
200 Games: In tonight's game, Victoria forward Brandon Cutler played in his 200th career regular season game in the WHL. The Spruce Grove, AB product has collected 63 points (24g-39a) split between the Royals and Red Deer Rebels.
On the Road: The Royals will now head to Prince George for a pair of games against the Cougars on Friday, December 13th and Saturday, December 14th. Puck drop for both contests is at 7:05 p.m.
Next Home Game: Victoria will return home to play their last two games before the holiday break on Tuesday, December 17th and Wednesday, December 18th against the Spokane Chiefs. Tickets can be purchased in person at the Select Your Tickets box office, over the phone by calling 250-220-7777, or online at www.selectyourtickets.com.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from December 8, 2019
- Giants Earn a Teddy Bear Toss Victory Sunday at Rogers Arena - Vancouver Giants
- Silvertips Double Hitmen 6-3 - Calgary Hitmen
- Blazers' Zary Added to Canada's National Junior Team Sport Chek Selection Camp Roster - WHL
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Sunday, December 8 vs. Everett - Calgary Hitmen
- Game Day Hub: December 8 - Portland Winterhawks
- Ams Lose Back-And-Forth Battle with Spokane - Tri-City Americans
- McIndoe Sends the Bears Flying as Oil Kings Capture a Point against Hitmen - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Wolf, Silvertips Blank Medicine Hat, 5-0 - Everett Silvertips
- Rockets Down Blades in Shootout - Saskatoon Blades
- Franchise Record 8,604 Bears Fly in Sold out Chiefs Victory - Spokane Chiefs
- Royals Battle Past Thunderbirds - Victoria Royals
- Tigers Winning Streak Snapped - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Hofer Has Cougars' Number Again: 0 - Prince George Cougars
- ICE Win 7th Home Game in a Row; Beat Kamloops 5-4 in OT - Winnipeg Ice
- Rebels Misfire in Otherwise Strong Third Period, Fall 3-2 to Pats - Red Deer Rebels
- Royals Defeat T-Birds in Second of Back-To-Back Games in Victoria - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Teddy Bear Toss Heroics in Portland - Portland Winterhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Victoria Royals Stories
- Royals' Keanu Derungs to Compete in 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship
- Royals Sign Trio of Players
- Royals Select Marcus Almquist in CHL Import Draft
- Royals Make Trade with Broncos
- Royals' Jason Spizawka & Kalem Parker Named to Hockey Canada's Under-17 Development Camp