Gems Complete Comeback with 4-3 Win Over Evansville
Mike Vaskivuo picked the perfect night to have his best game of the season.
The Gems' forward recorded a hat-trick on Tuesday night as he scored three goals, including the game winning goal in overtime, to give Dayton a 4-3 victory over Evansville.
The IceMen scored twice early on in the first period. Damian Surma scored an unassisted goal just 2:14 into the game. Less than five minutes later, Nicklas Lindberg scored to make it 2-0 in favor of the IceMen. Brian Bicek and Brandon Desmet were each credited with an assist on the play.
That's when Vaskivuo took over and was able to get the Gems back into the game.
Vaskivuo pulled the Gems to within one by scoring a shorthanded goal late in the second period and made the score 2-1. Midway through the third period, Vaskivuo scored his second goal of the game to tie the game at 2-2. Brett Lutes and Brandon Naurato were each credited with an assist on the game tying goal.
With 7:43 remaining in the third period, Evansville's Lee Zalasky scored the go-ahead goal to make the score 3-2.
It was then Naurato who gave the Gems new life late in the third period. With time winding down, Naurato scored with just 2:16 remaining on the clock to tie the game at 3-3. The goal extended Naurato's scoring streak to five games.
Vaskivuo didn't waste any time clinching the game for the Gems in overtime. Just 41 seconds into the extra frame, Vaskivuo slipped a shot past the Evansville goaltender to give the Gems the 4-3 win.
Jeff Jakaitis was the winning goaltender on the evening. He stopped 32 of 35 shots on the night.
The Dayton Gems will be back in action on Thursday night as they hit the road and head to Bloomington. The game is slated to start at 8:05 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.
The Kettering Medical Center is proud to be the official title sponsor of the Gems for the 2010-11 season.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 28, 2010
- Jacks Win a Wild One Over Bees, 5-3 - Odessa Jackalopes
- Early Lead Isn't Enough for Fire to Melt Ice - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Americans Blast Brahmas for Vintage Series Sweep - Allen Americans
- Mavericks Score Two in Third to Beat Oilers, 2-1 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Potent Power-Play Not Enough, Bees Fall to Jacks' 5-3 - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Gems Complete Comeback with 4-3 Win Over Evansville - Dayton Gems
- Jeff Harvey Named Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Muncy and Lewicki Return to Bees - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Texas' Jeff Harvey Named Oakley CHL Goaltender of the Week - CHL
- Komets Add Podshendyalov to Roster; Schrock Placed on I.R. - Fort Wayne Komets
- Eagles Add Veteran Forward Dan Sullivan - Colorado Eagles
- Mallards Place Marino on Injured Reserve - Quad City Mallards
- The PrairieThunder this Week - Issue #13 - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Bucks Start Desert Swing Wednesday - Laredo Bucks
- Thunder Takes One of Three - Wichita Thunder
- Bucks Ink Matte - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Gems Stories
- Dayton Gems Donate Thousands of Dollars to Local Family & Area First Responders
- Dayton Gems End Season After 6-2 Loss to Komets Sunday
- Gems Play Season Finale Against Komets Today
- Gems Fall in Overtime to Komets 2-1 on Saturday Night
- Gems Host Komets for "Pack the House Night"