Geer Blanks Rainiers with Four-Hitter
PORTLAND, Ore. - Josh Geer pitched a four-hit shutout as the Portland Beavers beat the Tacoma Rainiers 3-0 in the shortest nine-inning game in franchise history (since 2001) Monday night at PGE Park.
Geer (4-6), who did not allow a batter to reach base after the sixth inning, recorded the first nine-inning shutout for the Beavers (26-44) since Dewon Brazelton on June 16, 2006.
The game lasted one hour, 56 minutes.
Geer induced three ground-ball double plays and faced only two over the minimum on his way to his third straight win for the Beavers.
Lance Zawadzki and Brad Chalk each tallied two hits and one RBI as the Beavers scored all three of their runs in the fourth inning.
Brad Nelson and Adam Moore collected one hit each as the Rainiers (36-33) as the Rainiers drew only one walk.
Tacoma starter David Pauley (1-6) gave up three runs on seven hits and three walks in six innings.
The Beavers jumped ahead 3-0 in the fourth inning behind RBI hits from Chris Stewart, Luis Durango and Chalk.
The Beavers and Grizzlies meet Tuesday at 7:05 p.m. (Pacific) in the first of their four-game set at PGE Park.
NOTES: Will Inman was placed on the disabled list before the game with a right elbow strain ... Steve Garrison was transferred to Portland from Class A Lake Elsinore and will make his Triple-A debut with the start on Tuesday against Fresno ... Geer pitched only the seventh nine-inning shutout in modern Beavers history.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 21, 2010
- Sox Can't Avoid Big Inning, Fall to Vegas, 10-6 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Geer Blanks Rainiers with Four-Hitter - Portland Beavers
- Sounds Take Three of Four from RedHawks - Nashville Sounds
- Express Drop Finale to Omaha, 6-3 - Round Rock Express
- Grand Slam Lifts Albuquerque 16-12 - Iowa Cubs
- Veterans Bowker, Seddon Earn Weekly Awards - PCL
- Chris Seddon Named Pcl Pitcher of the Week - Tacoma Rainiers
- John Bowker Named PCL Player of the Week - Fresno Grizzlies
- Z's Take 3 of 4 in Memphis - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- New Orleans Nips Memphis in Finale - Memphis Redbirds
- Aces Homestand to Feature 50-Cent Dogs, Fireworks - Reno Aces
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Norris to Make Rehab Start at the Dell Diamond - Round Rock Express
- HOFer Tony Gwynn at Cashman Field on Friday - Las Vegas Aviators
- Hester's Clutch RBI Single Lifts Aces To 6-4 Win Over Fresno - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss