Gaudreau Saves 44 Shots, Sarnia Defeats Erie 6-3
Erie, Pennsylvania - Sarnia goaltender Benjamin Gaudreau made 44 saves and the Sting scored 5 unanswered to defeat the Otters 6-3 at the Erie Insurance Arena Sunday afternoon.
Sarnia opened the game's scoring with a breakaway goal from Nolan Burke at the 5:40 mark of the first period. Erie tied the game just two minutes and four seconds later when Drew Hunter scored from Chad Yetman and Hayden Fowler. Noah Sedore put Erie in the lead with his second goal of the season, assisted by Danial Singer and Brendan Kischnick. Sarnia's Eric Hjorth evened up the contest late in the frame and the score was 2-2 after one period.
The Sting's Ryan Roth buzzed in the middle frame, scoring two goals for Sarnia. Gaudreau recorded 13 saves in the second period to keep Sarnia's 4-2 lead going into the intermission.
Jamieson Rees added to the Sarnia lead with a shorthanded goal just 78 seconds into the third period. Justin Nolet scored at the 4:27 mark of the frame to increase Sarnia's lead to 6-2. Erie's Brendan Hoffmann scored from Daniel D'Amato and Cameron Morton with 32.5 seconds remaining in the third period to make the final score 6-3.
The Otters will look to rebound Thursday, December 12, when they visit North Bay for a 7:00 p.m. game against the Battalion.
Single game tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now. Erie Otters season tickets and flex packages are also available and can be purchased in person at the Erie Otters front office located at 201 E. 8th Street in Erie, or by calling 814-455-7779. For the latest Otters news, visit www.ottershockey.com, or follow the team on Facebook (www.facebook.com/erieottershockey), Twitter (@ErieOtters) and Instagram (@ErieOtters).
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from December 8, 2019
- Firebirds Win Sunday, Earn Four-Of-Six Points on Weekend Road Trip - Flint Firebirds
- 'Birds Beat Battalion - North Bay Battalion
- Five-Goal First Puts Hounds Ahead for Good - Soo Greyhounds
- 67's Clinch Second Alexandra Cup Victory in as Many Years with Their Ninth Consecutive Win - Ottawa 67's
- Colts Beat by Wolves in Physical Match-Up - Barrie Colts
- Washkurak Makes Bears Fly - Mississauga Steelheads
- Gaudreau Saves 44 Shots, Sarnia Defeats Erie 6-3 - Erie Otters
- Fronts Fall to Petes in Second Game of Back to Back - Kingston Frontenacs
- Chayka and Steklov Representing Russia at World Junior A Challenge - Guelph Storm
- Preview: Firebirds Wrap-Up Road Trip in North Bay Sunday - Flint Firebirds
- Petes Get Revenge against Frontenacs - Peterborough Petes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Erie Otters Stories
- Attack Pull Ahead in Standings After Defeating Otters 5-3
- Otters Claim Two Valuable Points in 5-3 Victory over Attack
- Powerplay Strikes Twice, Otters Fall 4-3 to Spitfires
- Erie Stings Sarnia 4-3 for Third Straight Victory
- Rising Stars Byfield and Drysdale Enjoying the Ride Together