Chayka and Steklov Representing Russia at World Junior A Challenge
A pair of OHL defencemen are representing their native Russia at the 2019 World Junior A Challenge taking place in Dawson Creek, BC from December 7-15.
London Knights blueliner Kirill Steklov and Guelph Storm rearguard Daniil Chayka are both headed west to compete in the annual tournament that begins on Saturday.
A 6-foot-4, 185Ib. native of Tallinn, Estonia, Steklov was selected by the Knights with the 56th overall pick of the 2019 CHL Import Draft. The draft eligible defenceman has four points (1-3-4) through 24 games this season. Steklov won a Hlinka Gretzky Cup gold medal with Russia this past summer.
Second-year Guelph Storm blueliner Daniil Chayka is having a solid season with the defending champions, registering 17 points (7-10-17) over 24 games. The 6-foot-3, 179Ib. Moscow, Russia native was the selected by the Storm with the seventh overall pick of the 2018 OHL Priority Selection after he won an OHL Cup title with the GTHL's Toronto Jr. Canadiens. In addition to his OHL Cup and OHL championships, Chayka has had success on the world stage, winning gold at both the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge as well as the Hlinka Gretzky Cup.
Russia took home silver in last year's World Junior A Challenge, doing so for the third time in the past six years.
For full coverage of the 2019 World Junior A Challenge, visit hockeycanada.ca.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from December 8, 2019
- Firebirds Win Sunday, Earn Four-Of-Six Points on Weekend Road Trip - Flint Firebirds
- 'Birds Beat Battalion - North Bay Battalion
- Five-Goal First Puts Hounds Ahead for Good - Soo Greyhounds
- 67's Clinch Second Alexandra Cup Victory in as Many Years with Their Ninth Consecutive Win - Ottawa 67's
- Colts Beat by Wolves in Physical Match-Up - Barrie Colts
- Washkurak Makes Bears Fly - Mississauga Steelheads
- Gaudreau Saves 44 Shots, Sarnia Defeats Erie 6-3 - Erie Otters
- Fronts Fall to Petes in Second Game of Back to Back - Kingston Frontenacs
- Chayka and Steklov Representing Russia at World Junior A Challenge - Guelph Storm
- Preview: Firebirds Wrap-Up Road Trip in North Bay Sunday - Flint Firebirds
- Petes Get Revenge against Frontenacs - Peterborough Petes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Guelph Storm Stories
- Pius Suter Latest Storm Graduate to Make NHL Debut
- OHL Classics: Todd Bertuzzi
- Returning Players Look Forward to Revisiting Russian Rivalry in World Juniors Semi-Final
- OHL Graduate Ryan Callahan Announces Retirement
- Former Storm Captain Ryan Callahan Announces NHL Retirement