Washkurak Makes Bears Fly
Mississauga, ON - The Mississauga Steelheads took on the Soo Greyhounds on Sunday afternoon in their 8th annual Teddy Bear Toss game.
The Greyhounds opened the scoring early in the first period, as Alex Johnston tapped a rebound home past Kai Edmonds. With the Steelheads in the penalty box, Soo made the score 2-0 as Jaromir Pytlik deflected a pass in front from Robert Calisti. Joe Carroll added to the Greyhounds lead as he wired a shot top shelf on Edmonds. It was all Keean Washkurak on the powerplay, who sniped top shelf on Bailey Brykin to make the Teddy Bears rain. Soo would add two more goals before the end of the period to make it 5-1 Greyhounds going into the first intermission.
Mississauga and Soo settled down in the second, as neither team was able to score by the midway mark of the period. The Steelheads killed off a holding penalty, before having their own opportunity on the powerplay to get back into the game but were unable to score. Joe Ranger made an excellent glove save while shorthanded to boost the team. Mississauga headed into the third period down by four goals but determined to make a comeback.
Aidan Prueter got the Fish off to a quick start in the third, as he danced around Bailey Brkin and scored on an open net. With the Greyhounds in the penalty box, Thomas Harley cut the lead to two goals with a wrist shot from the point. The Steelheads went to the powerplay with six minutes remaining in the third, with a chance to cut the lead to one. Another penalty for the Greyhounds would make it a 5-on-3 powerplay for thirty seconds, but Mississauga couldn't beat Brkin. Soo would add an empty netter to make the score a final, as the Steelheads fell 6-3.
Keean Washkurak became the 8th player to score a Teddy Bear Toss goal for the Mississauga Steelheads with a first period goal, while Joe Ranger stopped 21/23 shots in goal. Cole Schwindt added two assists to increase his point streak to six games (1G, 7A).
1st star - Rory Kerins (2G)
2nd star - Keean Washkurak (1G, 1A)
3rd star - Cole Schwindt (2A)
Kartye - Pytlik - Trott
Dickinson - Johnston - Peca
Carroll - Kerins - MacKay
McLean - Watson
Calisti - LeGuerrier
O'Rourke - Constantinou
Holmes/Halushak - Wawrow
The Mississauga Steelheads will return to the Paramount Fine Foods Centre on Friday, December 13th to take on the North Bay Battalion. Tickets to the game can be purchased by visiting the Box Office, online through ticketmaster.ca or by calling 905-502-9100.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from December 8, 2019
- Firebirds Win Sunday, Earn Four-Of-Six Points on Weekend Road Trip - Flint Firebirds
- 'Birds Beat Battalion - North Bay Battalion
- Five-Goal First Puts Hounds Ahead for Good - Soo Greyhounds
- 67's Clinch Second Alexandra Cup Victory in as Many Years with Their Ninth Consecutive Win - Ottawa 67's
- Colts Beat by Wolves in Physical Match-Up - Barrie Colts
- Washkurak Makes Bears Fly - Mississauga Steelheads
- Gaudreau Saves 44 Shots, Sarnia Defeats Erie 6-3 - Erie Otters
- Fronts Fall to Petes in Second Game of Back to Back - Kingston Frontenacs
- Chayka and Steklov Representing Russia at World Junior A Challenge - Guelph Storm
- Preview: Firebirds Wrap-Up Road Trip in North Bay Sunday - Flint Firebirds
- Petes Get Revenge against Frontenacs - Peterborough Petes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mississauga Steelheads Stories
- Trout Stay Hot Despite Winter Storm
- Steelheads Wagon Barrels Through Oshawa
- The Real Superhero
- On the Road Again
- Steelheads to Host 8th Annual Bell Let's Talk Game