Garrison Wins Triple-A Debut with Beavers
PORTLAND, Ore. - Steve Garrison pitched seven strong innings and Chris Stewart hit a two-run home run as the Portland Beavers beat the Fresno Grizzlies 5-2 Tuesday night at PGE Park.
Garrison (1-0) gave up only two runs on six hits and three walks in his Triple-A debut.
Stewart extended his nine-game hitting streak with a two-run blast and Craig Cooper had a two-run double as the Beavers (27-44) finished with nine hits.
Matt Downs had two hits for the first-place Grizzlies (46-26) as Fresno dropped its third straight game.
Having already started in three Fresno victories against the Beavers this season, Grizzlies starter Kevin Pucetas (2-3) gave up five runs on eight hits in five innings in his first loss of the season to the Beavers.
Ernesto Frieri retired the side in order for his 15th save of the season.
The Grizzlies took a 1-0 lead on an infield single by John Bowker, driving in Eugenio Velez from third base.
Portland responded quickly with three runs of its own in the bottom of the first inning, highlighted by a two-run double to left field by Cooper.
A sacrifice fly to deep right field by Brett Pill brought the Grizzlies to within one run of the Beavers, at 3-2 in the top of the third inning.
Stewart hit a line drive, two-run home run off of the ivy-covered brick wall behind the left field wall to give the Beavers a 5-2 lead in the third inning.
The Beavers and Grizzlies meet again Wednesday at 5:05 p.m. for a pair of seven-inning games as part of a doubleheader. They were rained out on April 26.
NOTES: Everth Cabrera joined the Beavers Monday on a major league rehab assignment ... the seven innings pitched was the longest start for Garrison since August 9, 2008, with Class AA San Antonio.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 22, 2010
- Garrison Wins Triple-A Debut with Beavers - Portland Beavers
- Aces Shortstop Ciriaco Tabbed to Play in Futures Game - Reno Aces
- RedHawks Down Z's Behind Petit's Two Grand Slams - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Express Escape with 2-1 Victory over Albuquerque - Round Rock Express
- Cubs Edge Royals, 8-7 - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Slug Redbirds in Opener - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Homer Three Times, Beat Memphis 6-3 - Nashville Sounds
- Sky Sox Announce Charity Jersey Auction on Saturday, June 26 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Hosmer, Moustakas Named to XM All-Star Futures Game Roster - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Zephyrs' Morrison Selected to MLB Futures Game - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Principal Financial Group Family Fun Fest on July 9 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Drag Kings to Perform at Triple-A All-Star Game - Fresno Grizzlies
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Milb Charities Donates $25,000 to Nashville Sounds Flood Recovery - Nashville Sounds
- Record Setting Frame Lifts Aces To 13-5 Win Over Fresno - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss