Fuel Announce Roster Moves Ahead of Weekend Set in Reading
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indy Fuel, proud ECHL affiliate of the NHL's Chicago Blackhawks and the AHL's Rockford IceHogs, announced a series of roster moves on Thursday ahead of the team's two-game series against the Reading Royals this weekend. Goaltender Matt Tomkins has been recalled by the IceHogs, while the Fuel have signed forward Craig Puffer to an amateur tryout agreement (ATO). Finally, defenseman Zane Schartz has been released from his ECHL contract.
Tomkins, 24, has compiled a 24-17-4 record through 46 appearances with Indy this season, alongside a 3.07 goals against average, a .904 save percentage and two shutouts. The second-year netminder leads the ECHL in both saves (1,453) and minutes played (2,734), while his 24 wins ranks second in the league and is a new Fuel single-season franchise record. Over his last five starts, Tomkins owns a 3-1-1 record, a 1.18 goals against average, and a .951 save percentage, earning his second shutout of the season with 29 saves against Toledo on March 10. A seventh round draft pick of the Chicago Blackhawks in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Tomkins saw action in eight games with the IceHogs last season, posting with a 1-4-2 record.
Puffer, 23, joins the Fuel after wrapping up his collegiate career at the University of Vermont. The 5-foot-9, 168-pound forward registered two goals and nine assists in 33 games for the Catamounts as a senior in 2018-19, finishing his NCAA career with 54 points (22g, 32a) in 142 contests. Prior to his time at school, Puffer spent one season with the Chilliwack Chiefs in the British Columbia Hockey League (BCHL) in 2014-15, leading the Chiefs in points (58) and goals (29) en route to being named team MVP.
Schartz, 24, dressed in eight games with Indy since joining the team on Jan. 31, logging a pair of assists and six penalty minutes.
Single-game tickets are now on sale for the Fuel's 5th anniversary season at Indiana Farmers Coliseum! Lock up your seat for every second of the action at Indiana Farmers Coliseum with a Fuel Ticket Plan - grab yours by heading to IndyFuelHockey.com or by calling the Fuel front office at 317-925-FUEL. Don't forget to follow the Fuel on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat (IndyFuel) for news, updates, contests and much more throughout the 2018-19 season.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 14, 2019
- Sosunov, Pedersen Return from AHL - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - March 14 - ECHL
- Stevenson Loaned to AHL Utica - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- K-Wings Ink Former Spartan Sanford - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Announce Roster Moves Ahead of Weekend Set in Reading - Indy Fuel
- Stingrays Announce Multiple Transactions - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners and 99.9 The Wolf Present "Country Night" - Maine Mariners
- Cool Insuring Arena Announces Naming Rights Extension - Adirondack Thunder
- Adams-Moisan Returns to Maine - Maine Mariners
- Colton White Fifth Adirondack Thunder Alum to Make NHL Debut - Adirondack Thunder
- Solar Bears Rally from Three-Goal Deficit to Earn Point - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.