Fronts Fight Hard But Fall 5-3 to Petes
Games between division rivals are always fun, but when the two teams are meeting for the second time in eight days, things get a little more interesting. Just last Friday, Kingston defeated Peterborough by a score of 6-1. The Petes had revenge on their mind from that game but were also thinking of a blown 5-3 lead to Mississauga that resulted in a loss on Thursday night. Adrien Beraldo was playing his first game against his former team after Kingston acquired him from Peterborough last Friday morning.
The Frontenacs started strong and opened the scoring early in the game. It was a spectacular rush by defenceman Billy Constantinou. He picked the puck up in his own end and took it the length of the ice before beating goaltender Tye Austin with a wrist shot. The Petes had an opportunity to tie the game on the power play a little later in the period, but it was Kingston who extended the lead instead. Tyler Burnie deked around a sliding defender and slid a pass over to Ryan Cranford who beat Austin to make it 2-0. It looked like Kingston would take that lead to the dressing room, but Nick Robertson scored a beautiful goal with just 1.3 seconds left in the period. Kingston was still happy to take a 2-1 lead into the intermission.
That lead grew five minutes into the middle period. Adrien Beraldo hurt his former team by sliding a puck under the pad of Austin. That goal was his third with the Frontenacs in just three games played. The Petes bounced back quickly and Liam Kirk scored just 0:43 seconds later. They would tie the game before the period ended. Erik Cermak tipped in a point shot while the Frontenacs had a delayed penalty. The Petes were ahead on the shot clock 30-16 after two periods, but the game was tied 3-3.
Peterborough's momentum continued into the third period and they took their first lead of the game at 7:59. Zach Gallant scored the go-ahead goal that gave his team their first lead of the game. Kingston pushed back by putting up 13 shots, but Tye Austin was perfect in the period. With Brendan Bonello on the bench, Max Grondin won a race to the loose puck and scored his seventh of the season to complete the scoring on the night. The final score was 5-3 Peterborough.
It was one of the more entertaining games fans have seen at Leon's Centre this season. Kingston's effort in a close game with a division rival mixed with a new in-game experience for the fans made it a fun atmosphere in the rink.
The Frontenacs will host the Barrie Colts on Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at Leon's Centre box office, or online at ticketmaster.ca.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from January 5, 2019
- Attack Snap Battalion's 7 Game Win Streak in Shootout Victory - Owen Sound Attack
- Firebirds Earn Third Victory in Last Six Games, Win 5-1 Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Rangers Lose to the Spirit in Michigan, 5-2 - Kitchener Rangers
- Spirit Newcomers Shine in Front of 5,133 at the Dow Event Center - Saginaw Spirit
- Game Preview: Guelph Storm vs. North Bay Battalion - Guelph Storm
- Bulldogs Win 4-3 in OT vs Sarnia - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Unclaimed 50/50 from Friday's Game vs. Windsor Spitfires - Guelph Storm
- Hamilton Tops Sting in OT - Sarnia Sting
- Andree Shuts the Door as 67's Blank Colts 2-0 - Ottawa 67's
- Firebirds Trade Gordeev to Guelph Storm - Flint Firebirds
- Storm Acquire Defenceman Fedor Gordeev from the Flint Firebirds in Exchange for Picks - Guelph Storm
- Ottawa Blanks Barrie 2-0 - Barrie Colts
- Owen Sound Attack Trade Phillips to Guelph Storm for Six Picks - Owen Sound Attack
- Preview: McLeod, Tippett Set to Make Debut as Spirit Host Rangers Saturday - Saginaw Spirit
- Storm Acquire Defenceman Markus Phillips from Attack - Guelph Storm
- Steelheads Complete Trade with Spirit - Mississauga Steelheads
- Spirit Complete Deal with Steelheads to Add Panthers First Round Pick Owen Tippett - Saginaw Spirit
- Preview: Firebirds Host Sudbury Wolves Saturday in Flint - Flint Firebirds
- Generals Acquire Brett Neumann from Frontenacs in Exchange for Nick Wong and Draft Selections - Oshawa Generals
- Frontenacs Acquire Nick Wong and Picks from Generals for Brett Neumann - Kingston Frontenacs
- Generals Acquire Brett Neumann from the Frontenacs in Exchange for Nick Wong and Draft Selections - Oshawa Generals
- Bulldogs Thank Mackenzie Entwistle in Trade to Guelph - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Storm Acquire MacKenzie Entwistle from the Hamilton Bulldogs - Guelph Storm
- Knights Drop Close Contest in Overtime - London Knights
- Petes Take 4-1 Season Series Lead over Division Rival Frontenacs - Peterborough Petes
- Fronts Fight Hard But Fall 5-3 to Petes - Kingston Frontenacs
- Sambrook Seals Hounds OT Victory in London - Soo Greyhounds
- Otters Stun Ice Dogs in Niagara, 6-3 - Erie Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.