Former Royals Forward Max Willman Called up to Flyers
The Philadelphia Flyers announced Thursday that forward Max Willman has been called up to the NHL club. Willman played 20 games for the Reading Royals in 2019-20 after signing for the team in September 2019.
Upon suiting up in Philadelphia, Willman will become the third player to play for both the Royals and Flyers over the affiliation between the NHL and ECHL squads. Tyrell Goulbourne and Anthony Stolarz were the first two.
Willman has risen quickly in the Flyers' minor league system after signing with the Royals. He scored 9 goals and 16 assists (25 points) in his stint with Reading.
Shortly after, he signed a professional tryout contract (PTO) with the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, and his play in Lehigh Valley earned him a contract for the then remaining games in 2019-20 in addition to the 2020-21 season. In March 2021, he signed an entry-level deal in Philadelphia. This is his first call-up to an NHL squad.
Willman was drafted in the fifth round (121st overall) by the Buffalo Sabres in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft that took place in Philadelphia. He attended Brown University for four seasons and Boston University for one, and he recorded 51 points in 135 games collegiately.
In 54 games with the Phantoms, he scored 12 goals and 13 assists (25 points).
The Barnstable, Mass. native is 26 years old and could potentially make his debut in the Flyers' season opener Friday, Oct. 15 against Vancouver.
Reading Royals season, flex memberships and group tickets are available for the 2021-22 season by visiting the Royals' box office at Santander Arena or by calling 610-898-7825.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 14, 2021
- Stingrays Announce Training Camp Roster - South Carolina Stingrays
- Steelheads Add Six from AHL Camps Ahead of Preseason Weekend - Idaho Steelheads
- ECHL Transactions - October 14 - ECHL
- Cumberland County Announces COVID-19 Protocols for Cross Insurance Arena - Maine Mariners
- Utah Grizzlies Release Training Camp Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- K-Wings Announce Fan Experience Policies and Procedures - Kalamazoo Wings
- Former Royals Forward Max Willman Called up to Flyers - Reading Royals
- World's Top Professional Eater Joey Chestnut to Headline Worcester Railers Opening Night on October 23 - Worcester Railers HC
- Todd Angilly, Jack Edwards to Appear at Mariners Games - Maine Mariners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- Royals Win 6-4 Thriller in 20th Anniversary Season Home Opener
- Royals Return Home for First Time in 594 Days for Opener against Norfolk
- Norfolk Edges Reading in 5-4 Overtime Loss, Nagle Saves 40
- Royals Open Season at Norfolk Scope against Admirals
- Royals Announce Season-Opening Roster