Fitzgerald Leads P-Bruins to 2-1 OT Win in Rochester
Rochester, NY - The Providence Bruins defeated the Rochester Americans Friday night in overtime 2-1 in the first matchup of the season between the two teams. The P-Bruins got both of their goals from Ryan Fitzgerald while Jordan Binnington made his 21st start of the season in net.
The first period was all about defense for Providence, as they limited Rochester to just six shots on net with no great opportunities. The P-Bruins controlled offensive play for the majority of the period, but despite 13 shots on Amerks goalie Linus Ullmark the team failed to get any Grade-A chances. Neither side had a power play or penalty in the opening 20 minutes as the sides headed to the locker room scoreless.
The top line for Providence broke through at 3:10 of the second period, netting the game's first goal. Paul Postma saved the puck from exiting the zone and backhanded it into the left wing corner. From there, Austin Czarnik gathered control and got it back out to Postma at the left point. He fired a slap-shot towards Ullmark with Fitzgerald in front, and Fitzgerald deflected it in for his 14th goal of the season. His tip-in complimented another period of strong P-Bruins defense as the team entered the second intermission up 1-0.
Rochester trailed for most of the third, but with six minutes to play tied the score 1-1. Off a pass from Eric Cornel, Sahir Gill ripped a one-timer over the shoulder of Binnington for his 15th goal of the season and sending the game to overtime. At 3:13 of the extra period, Fitzgerald and Postma teamed up again for the game winner. After Fitzgerald won the faceoff to Postma, the defenseman drove to the net and put a backhander on Ullmark. Ullmark stopped Postma, but Fitzgerald came flying in to bury a shot into the open net. His second of the game and 15th of the season gave the P-Bruins a 2-1 overtime victory.
Binnington stopped 23 of 24 shots in his 14th win of the year while Ullmark stopped 27 of 29 shots. Providence was 0-2 on the power play and 3-3 on the penalty kill. The P-Bruins are back in action tomorrow afternoon when they head to Toronto for a matchup with the first place Marlies at 4pm.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 9, 2018
- Amerks Fall to Bruins in Overtime - Rochester Americans
- Leslie, Wolves Push Win Streak to Six Games - Chicago Wolves
- Sens Fall to the Rocket in Overtime - Belleville Senators
- Blueger Reprises Role as Overtime Hero in 3-2 Win at Binghamton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolf Pack Fail to Hold off Checkers - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Despite 40 Shots, Phantoms Edged by Bridgeport 3-2 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Zykov's Two-Goal Night Lifts Checkers over Hartford - Charlotte Checkers
- Gudlevskis makes 38 saves to backstop Bridgeport to its fifth straight win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bears Fend off Crunch to Earn 2-1 Victory - Hershey Bears
- Devils Collect Point in 3-2 OT Loss to Penguins - Binghamton Devils
- Crunch Topped by Bears, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Comrie's Two-Goal Night Snaps Comets Losing Skid - Utica Comets
- Comrie's Two Goals Topple T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Fitzgerald Leads P-Bruins to 2-1 OT Win in Rochester - Providence Bruins
- Rampage Defenseman David Warsofsky Recalled to Colorado Avalanche - San Antonio Rampage
- D Travis Sanheim Recalled by Flyers - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Game #53 Preview: Tucson vs. Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Sabres Recall Bailey from Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Final Fas Fuel Winning Weekday & Taco Tuesday Next Week - Rockford IceHogs
- New York Rangers, Spectra by Comcast Spectacor Announce Renewal of Wolf Pack Agreement - Hartford Wolf Pack
- American Hockey League, TSN Announce Two More Telecasts - AHL
- Chicago Wolves' March Madness Features Frequent Giveaways - Chicago Wolves
- Griffins and Farm Bureau Insurance's Fourth Annual Media Room Makeover Contest Underway - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Dahlstrom Assigned to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Amerks Sign Pair to Amateur Tryouts - Rochester Americans
- St. Louis Blues Recall Goaltender Ville Husso from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- Dunkin' Donuts Named Official Coffee of Adirondack Bank Center and Utica Comets - Utica Comets
- Sens Ink Petgrave to Another PTO - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears Make Lone Visit to Syracuse - Hershey Bears
- Game Preview: Condors Host Rival Stockton at 7 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Devils Sign UMass Lowell's Edwardh to ATO - Binghamton Devils
- Phantoms, T-Birds on Tap in Three-Game Series - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Rocket, March 9 - Belleville Senators
- Kevin Spinozzi Reassigned to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.