First Extra-Inning Game of the Season Yields Close Loss
LEXINGTON - The Asheville Tourists were unable to snap their road losing streak on Friday night but they played a really good ballgame against the Lexington Legends. Asheville forced extra-innings for the first time this season and needed a comeback to do so. Unfortunately, the Legends plated their tenth inning runner while the Tourists left theirs stranded. Lexington won by a final of 5-4.
Ryan Feltner showcased some magnificent stuff on the mound for the Tourists. The Hudson, Ohio native struck out ten in six innings of work. Feltner surrendered only four hits; however, two were Home Runs. The latter of the Home Runs gave Lexington a 4-2 lead but the Tourists would respond.
Asheville plated two runs in the seventh inning thanks to a Legends error and a Kyle Datres RBI single. Datres already had a triple and a solo Home Run under his belt from earlier in the game. Coco Montes also blasted a solo Home Run to open the scoring in the second inning.
Asheville's bullpen was just as good as Feltner. Riley Pint, Jake Bird, and Alexander Martinez combined to pitch 3.2 innings and did not give up a hit between the three of them. Once the Tourists did not score in the top of the tenth, the Legends used a sacrifice bunt and a sacrifice fly to score the winning run.
The offense for the Tourists was quiet over the final three frames but this is just the latest chapter in the Tourists losing a game they likely should have won. Asheville struck out a season-high 15 Legends, gave up four total hits, Datres was a double away from the cycle, and the Legends committed three errors. Somehow the result was an all-to-familiar one.
The Tourists will try and re-write the book on Saturday with game two against Lexington scheduled for 6:35pm.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 17, 2019
- Legends Return Home to Walk It off in Tenth Inning - Lexington Legends
- 'Birds Sweat out 10-Inning Shutout - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Big First Inning Propels West Virginia Past Greenville - Greenville Drive
- Six-Run 10th Inning Seals Victory over Charleston - Augusta GreenJackets
- Late Error Ignites Augusta Rally as Dogs Fall in Extras - Charleston RiverDogs
- Uriarte Homers, Registers Three Hits in Fireflies Loss - Columbia Fireflies
- Nevarez Slugs Power to 10-4 over Greenville - West Virginia Power
- First Extra-Inning Game of the Season Yields Close Loss - Asheville Tourists
- Four Hoppers Homers Give Greensboro Series-Opening Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes - May 17 at Rome (Game 41) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (May 17) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Rally in Ninth, Win Series in Augusta - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.