Fireflies Rally in Ninth, Win Series in Augusta
NORTH AUGUSTA, SC - Columbia entered the ninth inning trailing by three runs in Augusta on Thursday. What happened next, was the stuff of Hollywood. A five-run rally in the final frame that saw 11 Fireflies come to bat turned the game in Columbia's favor.
The comeback began with a single from Wagner Lagrange, followed by a two-run blast from righty slugger Mark Vientos to make it a one-run ballgame. Two batters later, Chase Chambers reached first on a pinch-hit single, then Brian Sharp worked a walk in a long at-bat. The two runners advance on a wild pitch from Augusta (19-20) reliever Ryan Walker (BS, 1). Chandler Avant took advantage of the miscue by delivering a go-ahead, two-run single up the middle. Ronny Mauricio provided an insurance run by singling into left, scoring Avant from third.
Columbia (15-25) reliever Jose Moreno (S, 1) came out in the ninth to get the save. He struck out three of the four batters he faced, icing the game for the Fireflies.
The win earned the Fireflies back-to-back series victories for the first time in 2019, and Pedro Lopez's squad have now won six of their last eight games.
Bottom 1: Diego Rincones singles to center, Ismael Mungia scores. AUG 1, COL 0
Bottom 4: Mike Edie singles, Jeffry Parra scores, Jose Layer scores. AUG 3, COL 0
Top 9: Mark Vientos hits a two-run homer to left, Vientos and Wagner Lagrange score...Chandler Avant singles to center, Chase Chambers and Brian Sharp score...Ronny Mauricio singles to left, Chandler Avant scores. COL 5, AUG 3
Columbia continues its road trip with a four-game series in Rome beginning on Friday. First pitch is scheduled for 7:00 ET. You can follow the action live at FireFliesLivestream.com or on the MiLB.TV app.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 17, 2019
- Legends Return Home to Walk It off in Tenth Inning - Lexington Legends
- 'Birds Sweat out 10-Inning Shutout - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Big First Inning Propels West Virginia Past Greenville - Greenville Drive
- Six-Run 10th Inning Seals Victory over Charleston - Augusta GreenJackets
- Late Error Ignites Augusta Rally as Dogs Fall in Extras - Charleston RiverDogs
- Uriarte Homers, Registers Three Hits in Fireflies Loss - Columbia Fireflies
- Nevarez Slugs Power to 10-4 over Greenville - West Virginia Power
- First Extra-Inning Game of the Season Yields Close Loss - Asheville Tourists
- Four Hoppers Homers Give Greensboro Series-Opening Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Game Notes - May 17 at Rome (Game 41) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (May 17) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Rally in Ninth, Win Series in Augusta - Columbia Fireflies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Vientos and Newton Both Go Yard in Finale in West Virginia
- Fireflies Game Notes: July 17 at West Virginia (Game 93)
- Newton Stays Hot, Homers in Fireflies Loss
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 16 at West Virginia (Game 92)
- Fireflies Bats Go Quiet in Opener against West Virginia