Fireflies Game Notes: May 9 at Charleston (Game 32)
Columbia Fireflies (9-22) @ Charleston RiverDogs (18-14)
RHP Willy Taveras (2-3, 3.90) vs. RHP Daniel Bies (2-1, 4.07)
Thurs., May 9, 2019 - Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Park (Charleston, SC) - First Pitch 7:05 p.m. - Game 32
LISTEN: FirefliesLiveStream.com / ColumbiaFireflies.com / TuneIn App
LAST TIME OUT: Columbia opened up its three-game series against Charleston with a 7-1 loss on Wednesday.
MOLINA'S MASHING, Pt. I: Gerson Molina started again for Columbia in centerfield on Wednesday. The 23-year-old tallied two more hits at the plate and finished 2-for-3 with a double. Molina has posted back-to-back two-hit games in his first two outings as a professional.
MOLINA'S MASHING, Pt. I: Molina is now 4-for-7 at the dish in his first two games, but that's not all. The Cuban has put the ball into play all seven at-bats. He's yet to strike out or walk.
YOU AGAIN: The Fireflies returned to Charleston, South Carolina, to begin a three-game series against the RiverDogs on Wednesday. Columbia recently faced the Yankees' SAL affiliate from April 25-28. This makes back-to-back road series for Columbia in Charleston.
NO-NO: Former Fireflies Harol Gonzalez (2017) and Ryder Ryan (2017) combined to throw a no-hitter on Wednesday for the double-A Binghamton Rumble Ponies. Gonzalez (6.2 IP, 0 H, 6 K) and Ryan (2.1 IP, 0 H, 2 K) blanked the Harrisburg Senators and allowed just two walks.
THE OTHER GUYS: Charleston enters Thursday's game with an 18-14 record and is in first place in the Southern Division. The RiverDogs have seven Yankees prospects on their roster, according to MLB.com:
10. RHP Roansy Contreras 17. RHP Matt Sauer
13. RHP Luis Gil 25. OF Josh Stowers
14. RHP Luis Medina 29. RHP Tanner Myatt
15. C Josh Breaux
FOLLOW THE LAW: Keith Law, senior baseball writer at ESPN, ranked Columbia's roster as the 7th-most "Loaded Roster" in all of Minor League Baseball. Law recognized the fact Columbia's roster includes the Mets' third, fourth and fifth-rated prospects (infielders Ronny Mauricio, Mark Vientos and Shervyen Newton, respectively), New York's past two second-round draft choices (RHP Simeon Woods-Richardson, Vientos) and the system's ninth-rated prospect, left-hander Thomas Szapucki (drafted in the fifth round in 2015). The roster also features 26th (Baseball America) and 27th-rated prospects Chris Viall and Christian James. The prospect rankings are according to MLB.com unless otherwise noted.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 9, 2019
- Lexington Falls in Game Two to Kannapolis - Lexington Legends
- Suns Pitching Dazzles in 5-1 Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Lockridge Leads RiverDogs Past Fireflies - Charleston RiverDogs
- Henriquez K's 8 in Four Innings as 'Dads Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Vientos and Uriarte Smash Homers, Columbia Falls in Middle Game - Columbia Fireflies
- Riley Pint a Bright Spot in Tourists Loss to Crawdads - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Game Notes: May 9 at Charleston (Game 32) - Columbia Fireflies
- Drive Slug Their Way Past Braves 6-4 - Rome Braves
- Drive Top Rome, 6-4, on Thursday - Greenville Drive
- G-Rod, 'Birds Spit out 'Hoppers in Matinee - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Game Notes (May 9) - West Virginia Power
- Lexington Craft Beer Week Kicks off May 10th at Whitaker Bank Ballpark - Lexington Legends
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Bill on Baseball: Hoppers Take Aim on Shorebirds - Greensboro Grasshoppers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Jose Medina Homers Again in Friday Night Loss to Greenville
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 19 at Greenville (Game 95)
- Jose Medina Flashes the Power, Columbia Records Homer in Third Straight Game
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes: July 18 at Greenville (Game 94)
- Vientos and Newton Both Go Yard in Finale in West Virginia