Firebirds' Three-Goal Third Period Not Enough in "Teddy Bear Toss" Defeat Saturday
Flint, Mich. - Nicolas Mattinen (Toronto Maple Leafs) recorded two goals and an assist in a 6-4 defeat to the Niagara IceDogs, giving him eight points in the past seven games. C.J. Clarke scored his fourth of the season and Jack Wismer had a two-point night, picking up his first-career OHL goal and an assist. On special teams, Flint successfully killed off all four short-handed situations, including a full two-minute five-on-three penalty-kill. They added one power-play tally on seven tries in the contest.
It was a very competitive opening period for both teams. Flint led the game in shots on goal by a margin of 11-7 after 20 minutes of play. The score was tied at one, with Niagara's Danial Singer collecting his ninth goal of the season, extending his point-streak to five games. C.J. Clarke tied the game with his fourth of the season on a breakaway. Jacob Collins made a nice tape-to-tape pass to Clarke who buried blocker-side past Stephen Dhillon at 10:13 of the first period. Mattinen also picked up an assist on the "Teddy Bear Launching Goal." The stuffed animals were collected and will be donated to the Ennis Center for Children, Hurley Medical Center, Michigan State Police and the Whaley Children's Center.
Hamilton would score five goals in the middle period, including three goals in 1:18. Bradey Johnson scored his sixth and seventh goals of the season and added one helper in the period. Matthew Philip and Billy Constantinou each collected two points during the frame, with four other IceDogs contributing to the scoresheet. Niagara dominated the shots-on-goal category 18-8 in period number two. Despite trailing by five goals after two periods of play, Flint continued to battle until the final horn sounded, outshooting Niagara 12 - 8 in the last twenty minutes. The Firebirds scored three goals in the third period, starting with Jack Wismer's first of the season, unassisted. Wismer gloved-down a clearing attempt from the Niagara netminder and with patience, made a smart play to out-wait Dhillon before finding twine. Wismer would then collect his second point of the night, assisting on Mattinen's first goal of the night when Mattinen picked up a loose puck in front of the goal and backhanded it top-shelf.
Less than three minutes later, Mattinen recorded his second of the night on the power-play, with assists from Jalen Smereck (Arizona Coyotes) and Maurizio Colella.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from December 12, 2017
- At Perani's Hockey World: Meet Toronto Maple Leafs' NHL Draft Pick Fedor Gordeev & Nikita Alexandrov - Flint Firebirds
- OSEG Media Schedule: December 11-18, 2017 | Calendrier Pour M=C3=A9dias: 11-18 D=C3=A9cembre 2017 - Ottawa 67's
- Bulldogs Feast on Steelheads - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Wolves Weather the Teddy Bears, Down 67's in SO - Ottawa 67's
- Offensive Outburst Lifts Rangers to Royal Win in Guelph - Kitchener Rangers
- Firebirds Rally Back for Three Straight Goals to Tie, Fall 5-4 in Owen Sound Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Bulldogs Snag Steelheads 5-3 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- GAME RECAP: Dogs Fall to Spirit 3-1 - Niagara IceDogs
- Rangers Rally for 3-2 OT Win Versus Otters - Kitchener Rangers
- Cavallin Picks up First-Career OHL Victory as Firebirds Earn Second Win in Three Games - Flint Firebirds
- 67's Shut out by Soo to Wrap up Weekend - Ottawa 67's
- Firebirds' Three-Goal Third Period Not Enough in "Teddy Bear Toss" Defeat Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Dogs Come out of Flint with 6-4 Win - Niagara IceDogs
- Peric's Late Goal Snaps Skid, Gives 67's Win in Front of National Audience - Ottawa 67's
- Preview: Firebirds Host the Niagara IceDogs Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Firebirds Earn Second Consecutive Victory over Hamilton with 4-3 Win. - Flint Firebirds
- Groundhog Day Suits Rangers Just Fine After Repeat Win over Attack - Kitchener Rangers
- Bulldogs Drop 4-3 Overtime Decision in Flint - Hamilton Bulldogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Firebirds Stories
- Nilsen Signs with Edmonton Oilers' Affiliate Wichita Thunder
- Dellandrea Called-Up to Dallas Stars' AHL Affiliate, Texas Stars
- Less Than 200 Seats Remain for Final Home Game of Season Tonight
- Morgan Scores Two, Game-Winner in Shootout in Windsor Thursday
- Firebirds to Host Whaley Night to Collect Hygiene Items for Children